best places to climb in retirement

• 3climbr
  • 3climbr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127528 by 3climbr
best places to climb in retirement was created by 3climbr
I hope this post doesn't seem wierd-to think about where to retire and how to continue climbing trees. If it does, it would be in the context of worrying ahead of time what to do. But, it seems valid to plan ahead for retirement wants and needs. Living near trees makes it easier to climb them.

I have thought that living on the west coast -say in Oregon may be the best choice. I'd like to hear what others think. Do the tall trees hold as much appeal when a person gets older? Or, are the friendly, but shorter trees just as much fun?

Do people keep climbing as they get older? Do some people quit? When? Why? Why not?

Please share with me.

Love and happiness,
Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127529 by moss
Replied by moss on topic best places to climb in retirement
Interesting questions. I'm 50 years old, used to think that was old :-) It's not. Especially after a year of tree climbing. I'm in better shape than I was 15 years ago. I hope to climb until I can't get of bed anymore and even then might still get a climb in now and then.

I'm biased 'cause I'm on the east coast but I really like climbing deciduous trees, the branch structure is so varied and interesting from species to species. Nothing wrong with conifers though.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127531 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic best places to climb in retirement
Dissecting your post. . .

3CLIMBER said: I hope this post doesn't seem weird...
I Say: Off-topic threads are a great way to give things like “rope, saddles, & ascenders” a rest. It’s not weird, it’s inspiring!

3CLIMBER comments: Living near trees makes it easier to climb them.
Absolutely! Having to drive an hour or more to get to heavily wooded areas so you can climb is a pain! (Trust me, I know) :(

3CLIMBER asks: Do the tall trees hold as much appeal when a person gets older? Or, are the friendly, but shorter trees just as much fun?
My view: Extremely tall trees are good for the “challenge” and are also a good justification for SRT but, (i.m.h.o.) the real party begins in a nice fat canopy. A short fat tree with an expansive canopy is like a carnival. It can easily entertain several climbers at once. It’s a haven for treeboating. It always seems to need a bit of pruning or maintenance, (which will give you a sense of personal connection with the tree).

And as for (old) age and climbing. . .
I’m 50 and consider myself quite “beat-up” from a less than intelligent lifestyle in the past. Regardless, I have been on a number of group-climbs and in spite of the fact that my throw-bag skills are crap and my overall stamina is mediocre, I have always had a great time.

Common sense: Day-trips are always a safe bet. However, week long wilderness adventures with pro-climbers in big-timber country may be bit much unless you are at their skill level. Ask the group leader, he’ll tell you what to expect before you sign-on.

All I need at retirement is a small chunk of property with a few mature Beech, Red Maple, a Sycamore, anything will do!

See You There,
Ol’man Ej :D

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127532 by crtreedude
Replied by crtreedude on topic best places to climb in retirement
Do I get banned for saying I am in the perfect place to climb trees? You can climb year round - temperature is just about perfect all the time. You have huge trees - some incredible tall - some (like our Guanacaste) very broad - covers nearly an acre - but the leaves are fern like, so it is a joy to climb. the limbs are so big they are like sidewalks.

Moss - you once were interested in visiting - in about a month, I will be living next to the Guanacaste - I would love to have a visit by an experienced climber.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127533 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic best places to climb in retirement
Judging from the pictures on your web site,
It must be wonderful!
Looks like a nice place to retire to. :)

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127534 by moss

Originally posted by crtreedude

Moss - you once were interested in visiting - in about a month, I will be living next to the Guanacaste - I would love to have a visit by an experienced climber.

I'm very interested in getting down there, don't know if I can do it this year, have to take a hard look at the calendar. I've been working on SRT lately so I would actually have a chance to get into that Guanacaste :-)

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127536 by crtreedude
Your winter is a great time to come on down.

I am not sure you would bother with a SRT with the Guanacaste - the first limb is only about 15 to 20 feet up.

Isn't SRT for long ascents? Shows you how much I know.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127537 by moss
Yep, SRT is for longer ascents. Just shows how little I know about your Guanacaste. Sounds like DdRT would be perfect.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127538 by crtreedude
Here is a picture of the tree in question. Looks climbable? :-)

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127542 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic best places to climb in retirement
We call those Guanacaste trees earpods here in Hawaii. Fantastic climbing trees. They get FAT! That looks like a really nice specimen you have there crtreedude.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127543 by crtreedude
It is pretty large - the trunk is around 5 feet in diameter - I know of a few bigger - like 7 feet or more.

The tree is very healthy too - should out last me.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127544 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic How tall is the Guanacaste?
From the picture it appears to be about 50 to 70 feet tall to the top of the branches but the top branches are too small to the climbable so you are looking at about 50 feet. That is about how tall the three Live Oaks in my front yard are (2 of them died this past year ). That is the average tree here in Austin. I can use SRT in the top branches even in the low ones but I switch to DRT soon after I reach the canopy to move around it.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127545 by crtreedude
It is probably at least 70 feet - there are trees near it around 100+ - but they tend to be things like Corteza.

Almendro will get 200 feet tall - very hard wood too.

I am just getting started tree climbing, so this should make a good starter for me.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127546 by crtreedude
Leon, I do think they are in the same family as the one in Hawaii.

We have some wild fig that is pretty huge to climb on the finca - I probably have a lifetime of monster trees to climb. This one just happens to be out my back door - nice to have such a good one.

I think the canopy on the trees is around 150 feet - that should give you a reference. However, I have never paced it off. All I know is that it is huge.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127548 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic best places to climb in retirement
crtreedude, is Guancaste the same as Enterolobium cyclocarpum? That's what we call earpod here. I've been told that they are one and the same. I think we're talking about the same tree.

Sounds like you have some awesome climbing trees there. Ficus can be great fun. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Almendro is a species of Terminalia. If so, they are truly beautiful trees, really cool branch structure and trunks that just reach straight up to the sky.

Time for a rec climbing get together down on the Finca!

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds