Helium Balloon BrainStorm Contest!!!!

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126480 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic Helium Balloon BrainStorm Contest!!!!
Worth trying!

I've seen them go a few hundred feet, but 1000?!! I kinda doubt it, but . . . .

Pumping them up probably would be the major down side. Next would be aiming them.

I'd love to see it work, though!

Peace.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126493 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic What's next on the horizon?
Geeze! One never knows what technology will show up. I'll be checking it out. Gotta be safer than the spud gun I used a decade or so ago.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126494 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Helium Balloon BrainStorm Contest!!!!
I will second that, treeman. My ear is still ringing!

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126502 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic 1500' has been recorded
If you stack multiple (like six) two litters, conect them with epoxy and lamp nipples put a timed pressure release at each neck (truely brilliant, the pressure of the bottom chamber inflantes a rubber tube that plugs the top chamber until it's power is needed) and charge the top chambers with dry ice pellets, this can be done. But that is way to much crap to get stuck in a tree. But maybe two stacked could do it. There is even a way to have a nose cone pop off at the peak of the launch and release a payload (maybe 150' of lite line on a spool. This all seems like to much effort but a lot of fun. The calculations are daunting , rocket weight, line drag, wind resistance, launch angle, then be sure not to over shoot with too much PSI all has to be taken into account. But man it would look cool.

The only person you have to be better than, is yourself from yesterday.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126670 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Helium Balloon BrainStorm Contest!!!!

Originally posted by Treeman
Geeze! One never knows what technology will show up. I'll be checking it out. Gotta be safer than the spud gun I used a decade or so ago.

I have been eyeing this toy for awhile now, and trying to justify spending the $$(hopefully santa reads the TCI message board)

I would like to know if anyone has tried it out?
I contacted the manufacturer and they said that it is powered by .22 primer. No reports from treeclimbers on its success or lack of.

http://www.ahsrescue.com/pm-1251-65-cascade-toboggan-line-launcher.aspx

Very cool if it works. Though not very ninja like, perhaps we could get a silencer for it.;)

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126678 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Similar to a retriever trainer.
I used this kind of launcher back in the 80's. I was visiting Jerry Berenek for my first redwood climb. He used this kind of setup but the tool was originally used for training golden retrievers. It too used a .22 blank charge. It is very prone to overshooting, that was my experience. Certainly not as fun as the spud gun I used to toy with until a certain person I know nearly had their shoulder fried from a back fire.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds