get out of that tree

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125215 by moss
Replied by moss on topic get out of that tree
I'm holding Blaze PI in one hand and XTC in the other and they are the same width, a hair over 1/2". The Blaze PI is a little softer than the XTC so if you compressed them the XTC would probably spec out a little thicker.

The Poison Ivy version of Blaze is thicker than the orange version (I think just called Blaze) which is spec'd at 11mm.

The Blaze PI is nice to climb on.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125218 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic get out of that tree
Thanks for the measurement Moss.
When you say Blaze PI, do you mean Poison Ivy?
I agree whole heartedly that the Poison Ivy is a pleasure to climb on.
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125219 by charlieb
P.S. It is also very stealthy (green and black!)

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125220 by moss
I think Poison Ivy is in the Blaze product family. I could be wrong :-) Here's where I first heard of PI, Nick mentioned it in the last post in this thread:
http://www.tci-forums.com/viewthread.php?tid=409

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125221 by charlieb
You are correct, even Sherrill refers to Poison Ivy as Blaze's cousin, but I just didn't realize that it was ever referred to it as "Blaze PI".
Thanks
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

• 3climbr
  • 3climbr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125224 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic my response
May 27, 2005

Santos Escobar, Park Superintendent
Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation
PO BOX 1990
Santa Barbara, CA 93102-1990

USPS Certified Receipt 7003 2260 0002 6291 9867

Dear Santos Escobar,

On May 19, 2005 at about 1730 local time, I was told by Santa Barbara City Parks and Recreation Ranger N. Hill to quit my Recreational Tree Climbing in Alameda Park.

I had researched the Santa Barbara Municipal Code and could find no specific ordinance that restricts tree climbing as a form of recreation in Santa Barbara City Parks. I understand the Municipal Code does give the Director the authority to prohibit climbing certain trees (eg. the historic Moreton Bay Fig near the State Street Amtrak station). I had written you the attached letter dated April 16, 2005 to advise you regarding my proposed use of the Santa Barbara City Parks. I did not receive a response from you. So, I went climbing.

I understand that all users of the Santa Barbara City Parks must follow the code of conduct with respect to others’ safety and privacy, as well as preserving the park itself. That is how I abide.

I was thus very upset to be excluded by your Ranger. When you limit my right to leisure, you reduce my ability to recover from the day-to-day stresses of my life. And you take from me, my reasonable use of the Santa Barbara City Parks that I have paid for with my taxes and other fees.

The following is reprinted from the Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation Mission Statement:
The pursuit of leisure is a condition necessary for human dignity and well being. Leisure is a part of a healthy lifestyle and a productive life. Every individual is entitled to the opportunity to express unique interest and pursue, develop and improve talents and abilities. People are entitled to opportunities and services in the most inclusive setting. The right to choose from a full array of recreation opportunities offered in diverse settings and environments and requiring different levels of competency should be provided.
(National Therapeutic Recreation Society statement on inclusion)

Please advise me what you intend to do in regards to my right to leisure.

Kindest regards,

Robert Crook
3612 San Pablo Ln
Santa Barbara, CA 93105-3222
569-6034 home

Attachment: letter dated April 16, 2005-from Robert Crook to Santos Escobar and David Gress

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125225 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic original letter
April 16, 2005

Santos Escobar, Park Superintendent
David Gress, City Arborist
Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation
PO BOX 1990
Santa Barbara, CA 93102-1990

Dear Messrs. Escobar and Gress,

I am interested in establishing a dialog about Recreational Tree Climbing. Though a young sport, it enjoys an avid and experienced following of climbers. I myself became trained and certified in Recreational Tree Climbing because of wanting to care for a large Banyan tree. I could have easily rented a hi-lift bucket truck. I chose instead to get trained and to care for the tree more intimately. Many adults climbed as children-for the pure enjoyment. With the adoption of Arborist techniques, climbing harnesses, and ropes we can continue in that enjoyment-safely and without harm to the trees.

Friction knot climbing (allowing ascent/descent) is very safe, due in large part to the training and certification necessary to climb solo in this sport. The training is to ensure that error is eliminated due to thorough checking and maintenance of awareness. Also, a flagged perimeter around the base of the tree is established so that if a climber were to drop something, there would be no one possibly hurt on the ground.

Of course, Recreational Tree Climbing is widely considered an “at-risk” activity. As long as certain safety precautions are followed, no one will experience serious injury. Should one not follow these precautions, no matter of wrangling can make the landowner appear at fault. Choosing when, where and how to climb is solely the responsibility of the climber. Most climbers will sign a Release of Indemnity should it be required.

Thank you for allowing me to share briefly about Recreational Tree Climbing. More can be read on the web at www.treeclimbing.com and www.dancingwithtrees.com, should you be interested. I hope that you will contact me to discuss the pursuit of leisure and how it can include Recreational Tree Climbing in Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation.

Kindest regards,

Robert Crook
3612 San Pablo Ln
Santa Barbara, CA 93105-3222
569-6034 home

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125226 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic I welcome comments
Dear TCI members,
This is how I have chosen to respond to being told to "get out of that tree". I really want to be able to climb in this park. It is near my house and a beautiful setting.
I think there is a whole psychology to conflict and problem-solving. I'm learning. I am asserting my needs.
I would love to hear all the opinions and view points of my sisters and brothers.
Love and happiness,
RL

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125227 by moss
Great job on the letters. Something to consider is to lobby elected political officials whose district contains the park. So far you're talking to appointed officials with direct responsibility which is good. A little positive pressure from "above" might help them make some decisions in your favor.

While it would be geat to have unlimited access to all park trees, it might be to your advantage to propose a specific tree(s), times and guidelines for RTC in the park. If you can give the park/city managers the sense that it is not an "uncontrolled" activity, that they have a role in regulating the activity, you might increase your chances of gaining permission.

For instance you could propose an informal permitting system where a climber would present "credentials" to the park manager or demonstrate climbing competency for the city arborist. The approved climber would then be on an "ok to climb in Santa Barbara Park" list.

If you can also propose or arrange some sort of educational event around tree climbing, that might make the elected officials even happier (makes them look good) and give you more leverage.

Thinking about political and logistical realities, one or a mix of these strategies could be the ticket.
-moss

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125233 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Getting park permission
Good ideas Moss! One can go a step further by taking up a ranger or supervisor for a climb. It would be imperative that clean climbing technique is used, like using friction saving devices and letting down devices after a climb with a throw line. This would demonstrate 1- the tree will not be harmed, 2- There are good safety techniques being used. Needless to say helmets is a “must have” for no other purpose than to demonstrate safety precautions. Don’t forget to clean the helmet adjusting band before handing it to the “climber to be with authority”.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125269 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Letters
I've had success volunteering to help with labor that requires extra funds. This seemed to help. In high school we played hockey in an ampetheater in our local park, late at night (10-12). We always had loud music, and kept the lights on, but we kept the place clean. Removing graffatti and replacing light bulbs broken by vandals gave us full access. In fact one evening there was some criminal activity going on near the park. The cops came down to tell us to watch out, and to let them know if we saw anything funny. That was pretty neat.

Make friendly with local officals too.

Climb Safe!
Good Luck!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125441 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic get out of that tree
Two friends of mine who are very good commercial arbos and rec climbers too, have gotten yelled down out of trees by the Park Police in Minneapolis. Both of them were told that they could get a ticket for "vegitation molestation" I told both of them that it would be almost a badge of honor to get a ticket for VM.

Our society is so whacked about risk. I'll bet dollars to donuts that the tree crews working for most cities are a bit behind on their PPE and work procedures. We've all scene crews working with no, or inadequate PPE. And then the cops hassle rec climbers, who as a whole, climb with better gear and procedures than a lot of pro companies like someone pointed out.

Weird...

The dog in the pic is an employee of the US Forest Service. His partner was packing big-iron on her hip. Nothing to mess with, not that I would ever consider that. When we started talking I thought that I was going to end up in jail. All for tree climbing...come on!

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125451 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic WOW
Tom,

Was she tossing lead, and turning the dogs on you for climbing? I hope you weren't chased out of an NF. If I can get a permit to cut trees in my NF, I better not be told not to climb, especially when using a cambium saver.

It is good though to see dogs on patrol in the NF's. Too much drugs out there. I have been told to be careful backcountry hiking, in case I come upon a, shall we say, farm.

Climb Safe!
Wear Kevlar!
Carry bologna!

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125456 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic get out of that tree
Th e ranger was firm and polite. I kept my distance from the dog, I respect the work that they do. they have no clue if I'm just a buddy or a meth-head.

This is a long story that I only relate in person...over a beer or two :)

Suffice it to say, USFS rangers pack big iron and aren't the Smokey Bear fuzzies that I grew up with. They're cops.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125462 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic FS Rangers
They have to be. I wasn't kidding about that warning. I was told if you see pot growing in the woods, RUN. I was told in all earnestness. Forest rangers have a tough job.

Tom, drop me a line at my email addy, I'd love to get that story, though I don't drink anymore...sorry!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds