get out of that tree

• 3climbr
  • 3climbr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125182 by 3climbr
get out of that tree was created by 3climbr
Today, I was asked by Santa Barbara's finest to "get out of that tree". There was even a Santa Barbara City Park Ranger present to represent the Director of City Parks. It so happens, that I had written a very nice letter to the Director introducing the sport-three weeks prior. He didn't write me back, but boy was I in the wrong. I had previously searched the municipal code and didnt' find any restriction against climbing. I was being safe-not climbing above/near anyone.
Anyway, I got the Ranger to let me climb to retrieve a line. He saw I knew how to climb. And I was considerate to him.
We actually may have connected. So, I will follow-up with him and try to learn from the Director what it will take to climb in the parks here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125184 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic get out of that tree
I climbed in Santa Barbara. At Cachuma Lake State Park (or is it Lake Cachuma). Beautiful Live Oaks and Blue Oaks. Nothing really big, but fun for me and my girlfriends little brothers in their first tree ever!

The rangers there saw us and never said a thing.

Where were you climbing in Santa Barbara?

I think you're going about it the right way. Try it once, play innocent, then take the right steps to make it "legal."

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125185 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic get out of that tree
I saw this thread “Get Out of That Tree!” and could not resist a comment of my own… This particular subject always stirs me up.

I’m a quiet fellow. I try to be considerate of others and never “showboat” when at height. I do most of my practice climbing on a small grove of maple trees on my own property and I have no doubt that some day one of my neighbors will call the police to have me removed (or at least investigated).

It comes down to this…
If you climb a tree on a ladder your considered an O.K. guy.
If you climb a tree without the ladder your considered an O.K. guy that is climbing a tree without a ladder.
However if you climb a tree wearing several hundred dollars worth of ANSI approved safety equipment, you are considered some kind of a “nut case” and someone will indeed call the authorities to have you removed (or at least investigated). So… When I’m on my own property I climb as discretely as possible, and when I’m in a state park or forest I go “full Ninja”.

I don’t make these rules, and I don’t like these rules, but if I wish to continue to enjoy the wonderful sport of recreational tree climbing I darn well know that I better follow these rules.

Thanks for tolerating my venting on this! ;)
Electrojake

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125186 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic HUH
That is an interesting perspective. I never thought about it, but bring geared up does seem to draw lots more attention...

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125187 by Electrojake
Yes indeed Icabod.
In previous threads, I recall one of the members talking about his neighbor doing tree work off an aluminum extension ladder with a chainsaw. (Must have been interesting to watch.)

Yet the same neighbor a few days later might see you or I in a tree using a chainsaw in full compliance with ANSI - Z133.1 section 7.2 and consider us some kind of a wacko Spiderman dude.
(Ever get spotted in a pair of Kevlar chaps on a cutting job?)

As I’ve stated here in the past, the nice thing about tree climbing is that if your stupid or sloppy, you will have a tendency to “drop out” of the sport rather suddenly. :D

It has been my experience that most of the recreational climbing people I have met in the few years that I have been involved, have all been extremely safety conscience. On the other hand, the so called “professional” climbers I have been working with over the last 20 years could stand to learn a few things about rigging & safety from the tree crowd, (in my humble opinion) :)

Whoa, I digress!

• 3climbr
  • 3climbr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125189 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic what is the nature of your emergency?
911 operator: What is the nature of your emergency?

concerned citizen: Uh, yes Maam. I'd like to report someone climbing a tree in Alameda Park.

911 operator: Is someone injured?

concerned citizen: Uh, no. But my kids are playing soccer in the park. And I don't want the guy, uh.. dropping something on them.

911 operator: So, there's a man climbing a tree. Does he appear to be intoxicated?

concerned citizen: I can't tell if he's intoxicated. I guess not. He's got ropes and a helmut on. He's about 40 feet up. It's just wierd.

911 operator: Alright, we'll send an officer out.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125190 by Electrojake
Hey 3CLIMBR 911,

Yes sir.
Precisely!

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125191 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic get out of that tree
I'd like to second or third electrojake's being geared up notion. Today I went to the City Park here in New Orleans, LA and since I'm new to climbing I just randomly picked out a nice wide canopy Live Oak to climb on, but this Oak was about 200 or so feet from the main street that goes through the rear of the Park and the tree was up against a levee. So I thought I was out of sight, right? Well for a while I thought I was. As I pulled out my rope, no problem. As I threw my throwline, no problem. As I set the rope saver, no problem. As I brought the rope back down, no problem. BUT then I put on my New Tribe saddle, with QAS, and double bungie rope walker and gear bucket, then I happened to look up and some cars seemed to be slowing down and looking. As I began to climb SRT quickly, I noticed more cars slowing, Then as I switched over to rappel and I was hanging there about only 25ft. up some cars started blowing their horns. As I rapelled, there was almost a traffic jam! I forgot to mention I had my helmet on too. Anyway, it wasn't till I got dressed in all my gear that you would have thought the people were watching Spider Man or something. Needless to say I left quickly before any Policmen came and I learned my lesson and will go completely NINJA like electrojake.
So for all you Spider Men out there, watch it!! Haha.
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125201 by Electrojake
Attract Attention?
Heck, I know of this guy on the TCI forum that climbs in open toed sandals and a gas mask!

Fear not my friend...
Click on the link below, read the thread, and see for yourself!

www.tci-forums.com/viewthread.php?tid=427

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125203 by charlieb
I guess you never know who we have lurking amongst us! --And I thought that Nick was just the great splicer guy! Now we all know what his favorite outfit is and maybe what we all should consider wearing to keep the Rangers away!--Hahaha! I wonder if any passersby noticed!!??
Don't worry Electrojake, at least we're truly attempting to go totally Ninja, not like some people!-hahaha.
Seriously though, as I update all my gear I'm ordering everything in green to blend in more perfectly. Now my saddle and helmet is green and even the rope is the new Poison Ivy(green and black!) and works great for stealthing around.
I wonder if the Ranger would have let Nick stay in the trees if he had seen him in that outfit?!! -hahaha.
See ya in the stealth!
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125206 by moss
Replied by moss on topic get out of that tree
Hey CharlieB, any hints on where you found a green helmet? Since I climb mostly in an urban setting I've been looking to improve my "blend in" factor but have struck out on finding a green or drab colored helmet.
Thanks,
-moss

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125207 by charlieb
Yep! and it's great looking too!
Go to www.frescoarborist.com or call 866-353-3326 and look at the new Pacific helmets. I like and got the Timber syle with the brim. Don't go by the green in the color chart, it is off. When I called they told me the green color was darker and more of a forest green which was much better and I was impressed when I finally got it.
Also, Sherrill has them, but they are more expensive.
Great Kevlar helmet and stealthy.
See ya in the stealth.
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125208 by Electrojake
That Yale Poison Ivy mentioned above with 11.5mm diameter looks mighty nice for a 24 strand kernmantle. Seems it might have been real sweet if it was just a tad fatter though.

Also,
Charlieb, nice call on the green helmet!
My favorite is the P5 Full ballistic. I’ll bet’cha Nick would go for the “F7F”. Click on the link below for the details on the charlieb green helmet and others by Pacific of New Zealand.
www.pacifichelmets.com

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125211 by charlieb
That Poison Ivy is a full 1/2" on the calipers and is fatter than the Fly and is the same as the XTC(its cousin) which I don't understand cus Yale says the XTC is a full 1/2" and millimeter wise 11.5 is not 1/2. Anyways unless my calipers were off I believe it is 1/2" and to me it sure feels like 1/2". Where is Nick when you need him?! cus he could confirm this! He may be travelling to Oklahoma by now cus he's supposed to splice an Fire XTC rope I ordered from Okla.Arborist Supply this weekend. I hope he's better at splicing than at outfits!-hahaha
I concur that he probably would love the F7F helmet or the newer F8X since both could fit his favorite piece of eqpt. when climbing sycamores.--hahaha
Did you order you a green one?
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125212 by charlieb
P.S. - Electrojake, I wouldn't wear that full ballistic one in the trees in any Park since a Ranger may shoot you out of the tree thinking you were some sort of "Alien" (like the "Alien" in the movie) - hahaha!!
Keep it stealthy brother.
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds