Sling shot setup help?

More
13 years 1 week ago #135339 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
Do you make your own 2 to 3oz weights Moss?

Looks like a great idea to me! The tennis ball storage aria looks like it could hold a fishing reel.

Caleb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cameronw
  • cameronw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 week ago #135341 by cameronw
Replied by cameronw on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
I should reiterate that I am only trying to create a functional sling shot because of the possibility that I can''t get a limb on this one climb- I am a strong advocate of using a throwbag manually for the most part- i usually figure if it's a difficult toss then great, it's good practice. I'm just concerned that I may come up against a situation where I can't reach a cruicial limb by throwing, and want to have all bases covered for this climb. It's a sequoia, I'll be alone, I won't have another chance until next year, and I'm obsessed with reaching the top. I even went so far as to buy an 18 foot telescoping pole to retrieve lines - which is basically cheating in my book! Ideally, both the pole and the slingshot will remain in my pack....
im going to film the whole thing, btw and will post.

ps 2 oz weights for $3.50 at New Tribe

More
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #135343 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
I can't wait to see the video and I wish that I could join you. Waxhaw, NC is a little far and expensive for me to travel from. :( It is a dream of mine to climb a Sequoia to the top.

I am a working climber so I do a lot of hand throwing. I use the cradle throw and can attain heights of 80'. Still working on my aim though.

Caleb
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by Treezybreez. Reason: clarity

More
13 years 1 week ago #135344 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
Treezybreez wrote:

Do you make your own 2 to 3oz weights Moss?

Looks like a great idea to me! The tennis ball storage aria looks like it could hold a fishing reel.

Caleb

I don't use a hand slingshot, I know a climber who uses the Hyperdog, the spinning reel is attached to (below) the tennis ball holder with hose clamps.
-AJ

More
13 years 1 week ago #135345 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
I just got back from Gander Mt. It is indeed the Hyperdog 4 sling shot. $24. I almost got it. My wife told me to get it if I wanted it. But I still have questions. If it won't launch a 12 oz bag, how heavy of a weight will it sail to a height of at least 60'? Using 1.75 Zing It as the line. I also thought that if you swaped out the stock tubes for heavier ones, a heavier bag could be used or height reached. Sure I could experiment my self, but I'm a bit tight with my cash till I research things out to my satisfaction.

More
13 years 1 week ago #135346 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
2chops wrote:

I just got back from Gander Mt. It is indeed the Hyperdog 4 sling shot. $24. I almost got it. My wife told me to get it if I wanted it. But I still have questions. If it won't launch a 12 oz bag, how heavy of a weight will it sail to a height of at least 60'? Using 1.75 Zing It as the line. I also thought that if you swaped out the stock tubes for heavier ones, a heavier bag could be used or height reached. Sure I could experiment my self, but I'm a bit tight with my cash till I research things out to my satisfaction.

Trouble with going with heavier tubing on the Hyperdog is it's going to be difficult to find heavy latex tubing with the right inside diameter to fit the slingshot. Also becomes a challenge to pull the sling back far enough to get height with 8oz or heavier throwbags, your arm isn't long enough.

I gave up on the idea of using a hand slingshot to throw a normal throwbag any distance, you can do better hand throwing.

The pole mounted slingshots are the best solution for throwing regular arborist throwbags.
-AJ

More
13 years 1 week ago #135347 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
I kinda figured my idea of going heavier on the tubing wasn't going to cut it. My whole reason for wanting the thing in the 1st place was to have an ultra lite version of a big shot that would fit into my small pack for wild trees. I'm getting a big shot this year. My wife/office manager has approved the purchase. :) But when I saw the hyperdog sling shot last year I though Hmmm, maybe... Oh well. Thanks moss. As always you're a fount of information.

• cameronw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #135348 by cameronw
Here's my setup for tree entry - i've used the Big shot before and didn't like it very much (PITA, big, not very accurate or high). I'm going to try Moss's setup one day with the trigger - i think that will help.
Until then, this setup gets you incredibly high (~200 feet), with great accuracy. The compound bow was $35 on eBay, and the reel was about that much too (though I could probably have bought a cheaper reel). The arrow is from New tribe's website.
The only problem I came across was the leader breaking (now i have 80lb test leader for several inches) and also not enough line, incredibly. I reloaded with 400 feet of fireline, 20lb test, and now it's pretty bombproof.
I can only hand throw about 60 feet consistently, so this is a good fallback system:
Bow
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by cameronw.

• cameronw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 week ago #135349 by cameronw
Also, my buddy who's a mechanical engineer solved the sling shot problem. I'll post pictures tomorrow - he simplified it tremendously.... It works great now.

• cameronw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 days ago #135355 by cameronw
Replied by cameronw on topic A solution!
Don't ask me why, but this super-simplified version works perfectly and consistently.

http://cameronwalser.com/images/GOodSlingshot.JPG

My mechanical engineer friend came over and i sic'd him on it like a mad dog.

The reel is simply taped to the side of the slingshot. The "AMMO" is a 2 oz shot bag from New Tribe with an 80lb leader. ALso, there is a small 1/2inch PVC cap taped into the leather launch strap - it holds the shotbag nicely.
This along with a "Hunter's Specialty Decoy Retriever Pole" should make enormous crown reaches possible.

-cam

More
12 years 11 months ago #135376 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:A solution!
A friend of mine sent me this link to what I think looks like a good set up. It is designed to help install ham radio antennas in trees. http://www.ezhang.com/

What do you think?

More
12 years 11 months ago #135381 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
You can go to the New Tribe Web site and they have posted (Resources area)a few ideas from different climbers to use while in the tree and are fairly portable (more than Big Shot).
Also, Sherrils web site has some posted on their site that can be used to solve your tree entry issues. Good luck.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds