Sling shot setup help?

• cameronw
  • cameronw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #135313 by cameronw
Sling shot setup help? was created by cameronw
I'm all set for a great big sequoia climb, and everything's working great, with the exception of my sling shot setup. I may not need it at all, and will certainly try to rely exclusively on throw bags, but in case there is an awkward limb just out of reach i'd love it to have it to rely on when I'm 200 feet in the air, alone....

As you can see from the image below, I took the design right off of New Tribe's website. (the one major change on the way is a better slingshot I'm having mailed to me)
The problem is that 4 times out of five, the shot bag only launches about 2 feet, with the fireline getting tangled on the straps. I found that if I shoot with the entire contraption turned upside down it works more consistently, but of course that's a bit of a PITA. When it does work, it's totally great-

Any suggestions for altering the rig?

thanks dudes
cameron
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #135314 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
Hopefully you won't be tackling any large conifers alone! The big trees are all about team climbing.

Check out this Hyper Dog 2-ball slingshot , you can attach the spinning reel to the ball holder, it's a clean and simple rig.

Can't help you on the one you set up, I've never used one like that.
-AJ
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by moss.

• cameronw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #135315 by cameronw
Replied by cameronw on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
I wish i could get someone to join me - I've only climbed alone in the past but i'd love a partner, especially on something this large.... alas...

Do you have a photograph of the setup on that slingshot, by any chance?

Thanks!
cameron

More
13 years 1 month ago #135316 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
I suggest that you exam the projectiles path thru the fork. Anything along its path is a potential obstruction.

Also the reel may not pay out line as fast as it should and on open faced reel may help. After each miss-fire the string should be paid out way past its stopping point and reeled in again to remove the jams left from a high speed sudden stoppage.

I would reverse the pipe so it not in the fork and comes out along the heel of the hand. This will allow the reel to be mounted on top of the pipe.

Extend and curve up the pipe so its end is near the weights path and if you can cut it into a V so the string can be made to stay positioned out in front.

I use a thinner walled plastic tube the slides inside the pvc pipe.

Good luck.

• cameronw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #135319 by cameronw
Thanks a lot! All that was very helpful -

Could you just clarify that last line for me? A thinner plastic tube.... .?

Also, do you by any chance have a photo of this setup?

thanks
cameron

More
13 years 1 month ago #135321 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
I believe that "a thinner plastic tube" is in reference to the diameter of the white tube holding the reel. Go with a smaller sized tubing.

• cameronw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #135322 by cameronw
No i don't think so - Tree tramp says:
"I use a thinner walled plastic tube the slides inside the pvc pipe"

which i think is a typo for
"I use a thinner walled plastic tube THAT slides inside the pvc pipe"

But of course we're speculating ...

Treetramp?

More
13 years 1 month ago #135323 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
I can't type well either. Correct the tube slides inside.

I use bent light weight conduit instead of hunky pvc.

The thinner tube acts like the end of a fishing pole so the line can be held towards the target inline with the projectile.

More
13 years 1 month ago #135327 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
Hi Cameron,

What if you made a leader out of a piece of throw line? The throw line is stiffer than the fishing line so maybe it won't twist around the rubber tubing.

Hope that works, Caleb

• cameronw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #135332 by cameronw
that's actually a great idea - i'll give it a try. New slingshot should arrive today...

More
13 years 1 month ago #135334 by 2chops
Here's another idea regarding slingshots. Gander Mountain, (an outdoors goods store along the same order as Cabellas), has a slingshot that I've been eyeing up ffor a while now. It's a wrist rocket type, but it has an extended "arm" that sets the "y" about 12" away from the handle. It's marketed as a ball launcher for dogs. When I 1st saw it, I saw a throw bag launcher that only costs $20. Has anybody else seen one of these or better yet used one? I'm curious as to how high it would lob a 12 or 14 oz. Bag.

Ron

• cameronw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #135335 by cameronw
That thing sounds great- i can't find it on their site. Can you provide a link, or what to search for?

thanks!

More
13 years 1 month ago #135336 by 2chops
I couldn't find it on there either. We have a GM store only 10 mintes from my house. I'll pop in tomorrow and see if they have one on hand. They usually do. If so, I'll jot down the make, model # and post it here. Maybe I'll sneak in a throw bag and test it out. The store does have rather high ceilings. I figure it this way, if a 14 oz bag hits a 30' ceiling with authority, it'll be good for a 50' crotch.
Just a thought. B)

• cameronw
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #135337 by cameronw
If you do, please film it ;)

is this what you're talking about:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/220701172767?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=219006472961&crlp=1_263602_309572&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=6e8df1cc12e0a5aa45229782fffca40b&itemid=220701172767&ff4=263602_309572

More
13 years 1 month ago #135338 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Sling shot setup help?
2chops wrote:

Here's another idea regarding slingshots. Gander Mountain, (an outdoors goods store along the same order as Cabellas), has a slingshot that I've been eyeing up ffor a while now. It's a wrist rocket type, but it has an extended "arm" that sets the "y" about 12" away from the handle. It's marketed as a ball launcher for dogs. When I 1st saw it, I saw a throw bag launcher that only costs $20. Has anybody else seen one of these or better yet used one? I'm curious as to how high it would lob a 12 or 14 oz. Bag.

Ron

The Hyperdog slingshot that I posted earlier in the thread is a tennis ball thrower. It will not throw a 12 or 14oz bag. It will throw a 2 or 3 oz weight trailing fishing line as high as you need to go.
-AJ

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds