Vertical Devices -- Website

More
15 years 1 month ago #133351 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Vertical Devices -- Website
I'd have to disgree with Trebuchet's comments about sturdy boots!

In the 25 years I've been climbing trees, I've always used soft trainers and if possible ones which don't support the ankle. The one's in my photo are ankle high but only so that I can use the Pantin. Even so, they are the softest I can use with a Pantin.

The reason is that, unlike walking upright on a rocky path, you're using branches at varying angles, so your ankle should be free to bend to whatever angle allows it to rest flat on the branch or bough. The softer the sole the better, as this gives you the most contact with a circular branch. Hard soles would only have a tiny are of contact with a round branch and are therefore more likely to slip or damage the cambium.

Obviously the shoes must fit your foot snugly - I mean flipflops are definitely out :laugh:

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #133353 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Vertical Devices -- Website
michaeljspraggon wrote:

...The reason is that, unlike walking upright on a rocky path, you're using branches at varying angles, so your ankle should be free to bend to whatever angle allows it to rest flat on the branch or bough. The softer the sole the better, as this gives you the most contact with a circular branch. Hard soles would only have a tiny are of contact with a round branch and are therefore more likely to slip or damage the cambium.

Obviously the shoes must fit your foot snugly - I mean flipflops are definitely out :laugh:

Michael

Different approaches to different climbing situations. As I mentioned earlier, barefoot climbing is awesome, ultimate sensitivity to the tree surface. But there are things you can't do barefoot. I like at a minimum a stiff sole under the arch so my foot won't get crushed in a V crotch, otherwise as soft and as light as I can get is good, just as long as I can adjust my Pantin tight enough. Another consideration is doing single foot footlock technique, a shoe has to be fairly durable to withstand the rope abrasion on the sides and over the top of the arch of the shoe.
-moss

More
15 years 1 month ago #133354 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Vertical Devices -- Website
I hear what you say about the uppers being durable, Moss!

I stay away from V-crotches altogether - not good for man or tree (or rope)!

Barefoot climbing is great. I've even done it on tall firs - although it gets quite sticky!

Michael

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds