Kind of disappointed with the GriGri as a rappell device

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128431 by SRT-Tech
I remember the first versions of the GRIGRI......many were sent back and they were destroyed. People were falling, slipping, even if it was rigged right. WAY too many plastic parts, way too many of those plastic parts breaking, way too much chance of user error, even the PRO rope techs were throwing them out in disgust.

i'd sooner slide down barbed wire with bare hands than trust a grigri.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128465 by coonrad

Originally posted by Treeman
The Piranah has not been brought up here. It does not have a handle and if you let go you can fly- for a few moments- before that sudden stop.

Yes, pirana good. I just raved about the Pirana in another thread.

I think 90+% of the GriGri's use is as a belay device in climbing gyms...where the dude can chill and scope out the ladies while he's on belay. : )

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128467 by SRT-Tech
^ HAHAHA how true it is, at least here at the Cliffhanger gym...LOL LOL LOL :D:D:D:D

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128468 by moss
Yep, I've noticed that gym climbers view my GriGri w/disgust. The device as currently manufactured is quite solid, it's all steel except the end of the release lever which is plastic. I can see why it's plastic. It's just there to provide extra release leverage. If you pulled that hard on it to break it off then you were probably panicked and it would be better to break it off to lock the GriGri on the rope. I put my hand on the release lever so that I'm holding the metal part of the lever as well as the plastic. The internal steel part that actually holds your life is beefy solid.

This is a case of minimalism winning, The ID inspires more confidence but weighs more and is larger. The GriGri is compact, light, simple and effective for sinngle rope descent.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds