Kind of disappointed with the GriGri as a rappell device

• dude512
  • dude512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127484 by dude512
Well I've tried the GriGri a couple of time as a rappell device and I have to say that I am underwhelmed. It locks in nice and tight, then to descend I have to pull the plastic lever (which I am afraid is going to break) and then it just drops me out of the sky..now matter how slowly I pull it back. Maybe I just weigh too much (230 lbs) I have rappelled several hundred times but always with doubled rope so I know what it should feel like. I'm just not getting it with the GriGri

That being said, I goot a Petzl Stop yesterday and it works perfectly. Holds nice and tight then descends smoothly with a slight squeeze of the lever with speed modulated perfectly by free hand rope tension.

Later

Bakes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127485 by moss
Not meaning to be dumb about this but are you using your other arm/hand to hold the running (down end) part of the rope at the side of your thigh to control your rate of descent? The lever is only part of the equation. Sounds like you're trying to make the lever do all the work.

What's the spec on the rope you're using with the GriGri?

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127486 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Grigri vs Stop
Bakes, You did not mentioned what you were doing with the other hand? If you do not hold the lower part of the rope with one hand against your leg, the Grigri will drop you as a rock specially if you are heavier than the "average" lighter climber. The PETZL Stop works smother the way you mentioned and similar to a regular mini rack with a less jerky motion and a more "controlled" descend. Good report anyway. Thanks. (I see that Moss has the same question about your other hand location) .

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127487 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic Best way to descend SRT???
I avoided buying the stop because product descriptions made it sound like the lever could not be used in the way you are describing. However, I am at a loss to find the best, or even a god way to desend SRT , especially on 1/2" line. Figure 8's are awkward IMO. Petzl ID is big and pricey. The best i have come up with is the gri gri but I can only usethem on my 11mm line. Any suggestions???

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127488 by nickfromwi
How about a rap rack?

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• dude512
  • dude512's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127490 by dude512
Thanks for the replies.

I am using 11mm "The Fly" rope

I was cranking pretty hard with my other hand but I just could not get the nice smooth rappelling action that I am used to with a double rope.

As far as using the lever, the rule is you can push it in slowly and such but you do not want to pull it back (unless it is an emergency) while still moving. Better to pull down on on the rope until you stop then pull the lever a bit and lock things in place.

In any case, the Petzl Stop is what worked for me on SRT after trying 3 other products (Fig 8, Tube belay device and the GriGri). I could not be happier (except now I have a GriGri I'm not sure what to do with.)

I will still use the Figure 8 for double rope descents though.

Thanks

Bakes

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127493 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Piranah?
The Piranah has not been brought up here. It does not have a handle and if you let go you can fly- for a few moments- before that sudden stop.

Rack with a hyper bar? Quite smooth as any caver will tell you. If you let go- your descent speed is in accordance to how many bars you have locked in and how fast your recovery time is- hopely with glove on hand.

Then there is the old fashioned technique of using multiple down pitches using doubled rope technique if you are not in the northwest country.

But the Stop is used. A bit bulky on your gear heap but useful indeed. Personal preference has merit.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127496 by charlieb
Also the mini rack with one or two hyper bars is another option. I think Tom Dunlap likes this option since it's not so bulky. Takes a little getting use to if you're not familiar with racks.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127498 by sitka12
seems like there would be a tool that would work well for both ascending and descending SRT. I dont see any benifit in having to carry extra gear that you have to connect just to descend. That seems both inefficient and unsafe (in an emergency situation). The gri gri is a good start because it can be used in certain types of SRT climbing, but seems to fall short in a lot of ways, particularly since the rope tails up. Can lockjack sports be used in SRT or is that too much load for it to descend correctly?

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127499 by nickfromwi
Sitka...you need the unicender.

Okay, Tom.....your turn.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127500 by Electrojake

Originally posted by Dude5
Well I've tried the GriGri a couple of time as a rappell device and I have to say that I am underwhelmed.

Dude5,
The problem with the GriGri is that it’s NOT an I’d!

Click on the link below and read through this short TCI thread.
www.tci-forums.com/viewthread.php?tid=522

Regards,
Ej

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127516 by mateo12
I find the Gri-Gri a poor rap. device also. I can get a relatively smooth rap., possibly because I am a lighter climber (at 150). But everynow and then it takes off a little bit and I need a sudden stop. Another complain is that stupid plastic handle... I always feel like that thing is going to snap. The best rap. I've ever had was with a mini-rack with two hyper bars... at the beginning I have to feed the rope through because I'm a lighter climber, but towards the middle and end I could just let go and it would be smooth sailing. 8s and ATCs are the next smoothest, but you get the rope twist. But as far as I know, that doesn't hurt the rope at all, it's just annoying. my two cents.

mateo

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127517 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic 8 with ears
The most basic device is the 8 with ears. no moving parts, add more friction with two wraps. Or use the around the body method to gain friction. Also I KNOW when a tie off with an 8 I am tied off. The mechanical things are iffy to me and breakage is something I don't like to test gravity with. A bar rack is great too!!! At 265 pounds I have learned ways to control the friction and beat gravity until I get SSSTTTTUUUUPPPIIIIDDD heheheheh

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127524 by Tom Dunlap
Since you wiegh 250# you are going to have to pay close attention to the specs of any rap device. Most aren't made for loads like you put on them.

The Stop, and other bobbin devices are sometimes called 'Creeps' because they let the load slip just a little. Be careful!

There are other devices that work in a similar fashion. You need to spend some time studying this webpage:

http://storrick.cnchost.com/VerticalDevicesPage/VerticalHome.shtml

ISC

http://www.iscwales.com/

has a device that is pretty compact. It has a 'sweet spot' so if you grab the handle too much or let it go, it will lock off.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128428 by ron
I realize this is another piece of gear to carry, but the Trango Pyramid is very small and easy to use. I've used it with 1/2" rope but that's tight, 11mm is the max it is designed for.

The Pyramid does not twist the rope and if you release the rope (control hand), you're probably gonna speed up.

If you put an auto-block hitch on a leg strap and on the tail of the rope, it will allow hands-off stops and re-starts. I've used this several times.

I think the the really nice thing about the Gri-Gri et al is the ability to ascend and descend with one device and minimal change-over.

I developed a process that simplifies a change over from an ascender to a descender so the change over is a non issue for me.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds