NJ?

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124329 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic NJ?
Yes indeed, ya gotta be discrete on a climb.
I drive in as deep as I can get, then I park slightly off trail and hike in just a little deeper so as not to be obvious from the road. However, I never hike too deep into the woods since my back doesn’t like hauling all that rope & gear from the truck to the tree. <grin>

And yes, I agree with you on the fact that the really nice trees are in private yards. By default a tree has an opportunity to excel in a protected yard. Most of the wooded areas in Jersey consist of acres and acres of tall skinny trees that are 6 inches in diameter, 50 feet tall and no canopy to speak of. A well maintained tree on a private lot is a beautiful thing as compared to the skinny battle damaged crap that is usually found growing wild in the Jersey woods.

I have spotted a few groves of mature Yellow Poplar up in the Pequest area. Some approaching the 100 foot mark but, as with most trees in the wild they can be a tricky climb, (dead & damaged limbs, etc…). :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125304 by futuretreegirl
Replied by futuretreegirl on topic beginner course in nj
hi. i'm new to all this and i'm very interested in a beginner's course in nj- especially north jersey (bergen county area). if anyone has any info on a possible climb/grove/course, please post.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125307 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic NJ?
There have been a few opportunities to tree-climb under the supervision of experienced instructors here in the northeast but…
I think the closest recreational tree climbing courses you can find will be in
Georgia.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125376 by mountainwriter
Replied by mountainwriter on topic Magazine Writer
New Jersey and other Northeast Climbers,
My name is Pete Bronski - I'm a writer doing a story on tree climbing for AMC Outdoors magazine, which focuses on the Northeast and New England. I'm looking to interview a few area tree climbers via telephone for my article. If you're willing and available in the next week or two, please drop me an email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Many thanks!

www.peterbronski.com

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125377 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic News Article Sources of Info
Mt-Writer. You may want to call Peter Jenkins in Atlanta. He is the source of most of the info on Recreational Tree Climbing and one of the Main Sponsors, educator and overall nice guy. Good Luck on your article. "Ponderosa" In Colorado is also a good source of Info on Adventure Tree Climbing. Here is the link to his site;
http://www.treeclimbingcolorado.com/ Please post a link to your article when you are done.

Oldtimer in Austin

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126782 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Princeton, NJ
Take I-95 S to 206 N. There will be a park on your left 3 blocks be for downtown Princeton. Make right of 206 to Lovers Ln. for parking. Many nice tree in both open and woody area. Many other nice sized trees are in the area. I work in the area and have been up many wonders. Largest to hand is a 100+ ft. Poplar with a 6ft diameter in Princeton. It has a sibling just a half a block away.

Any one know of any good sized trees along the Delaware River North of Trenton.

See you at the top.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds