NJ?

• Thumper
  • Thumper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 7 months ago - 20 years 7 months ago #122739 by Thumper
NJ? was created by Thumper
Anyone climb in NJ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• harrywbarnhurst
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
20 years 7 months ago - 20 years 7 months ago #122744 by harrywbarnhurst
Replied by harrywbarnhurst on topic I am in Southeast PA.
I am in Hatboro PA and have done a majority of my climbs there. I do work in Moorestown and have done a couple of short climbs during my lunch break. Two of the trees that I have climbed there are Black Walnut about 50ft tall and one is a Silver Maple about 60ft.

Where are you located?

I am going to be at Bob Wrays climb-in in Virginia October 3-5 (see event topic). That will be my first experience climbing with a group besides my IBC at TCI last October. Solo climbing is nice but I am looking forward to being with a group (flock?) of treeclimbers.

Well hopefully I will talk to you soon. Have a great day!

In Peace,
Legolas

In Peace,

Legolas

• Thumper
  • Thumper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 7 months ago - 20 years 7 months ago #122748 by Thumper
Replied by Thumper on topic NJ?
I am in Dayton exit 8a NJ tpk I usualy climb the trees by work too. Some 60 - 70 ft.

• Tear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 7 months ago - 20 years 7 months ago #122749 by Tear
Replied by Tear on topic NJ?
I'm at Bard College, just north of Poughkeepsie. So in the same general area. I'm attempting to establish a grove here at school, so at some point once that's established, I'll invite y'all to come climb with us.
Josh

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122771 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Belmar
I live by the ocean in central jersey. Get on the 195, head east, when you hit water, you'll be in my driveway! Let's get together and climb!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122778 by josh123
Replied by josh123 on topic BELMAR?????
Nick-
Are you the same Nick that posts often to Tree Buzz? You go to school in Wisconsin? If you are the same person, I have noticed that you've said your girlfriend lives in Baltimore? I live in Annapolis, and have climbed a few times in Druid Hill Park (in Baltimore). Also, my sister lives in Manasquan, practically next to Belmar. Do you have some good places to climb in Belmar? If so, the next time I'm up I'll give you a buzz. Maybe we can meet up for a climb.

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122780 by josh123
Replied by josh123 on topic Druid Hill Park
Robert-
Most of the trees in Druid Hill Park are White Oaks, Red Oaks, and Tulip Poplars. It is a very big place, where exactly were you climbing? Did you actually get confronted by someone about climbing there? They don't have any 'rangers' like a state or national park, because they are a part of the city park system. Was it the police? What exactly did they say to you? Fill me in, I'd like to know what to expect the next time I climb there.

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122781 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Yes, that is I
NickfromWI who is now in Belmar NJ, girlfriend in Baltimore. You got it.

As far as climbing trees in Belmar. No way, Jose. The best thing I've found thus far is a park about 6 blocks from my house. Baseball fields surrounded by small (30'-40) Norway Maples. Nothing fun to climb, yet. I will keep looking, though, and I will certainly post back when I find the place. Then we can certainly get together and climb a tree!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122790 by josh123
Replied by josh123 on topic Druid Hill Park
Robert, I think I know the place you were climbing. I have never seen any rangers on bikes, only cops in cars. So they did end up telling you to get down after watching you for a while? Perhaps if they see more of us they won't be so weirded out by us. I saw a posting on arboristsite.com regaridng the upcoming TCI show in Baltimore in November. The idea of a fun climb was being thrown around by some of the arborists/tree care guys. One of them said they talked to the city forester about a place to hold one, and he suggested Druid Hill Park since they had a TCI tree climbing compettition there some years ago. He was saying that it would only be open to certified arborists, though. That's bad news for us, but I guess he just wants to make sure that the people who climb know what they are doing and have the right equipment. I've considered calling or e-mailing this guy to inquire as to whether people like us can climb without conflict in the park, but I'm reluctant to. if he says no, he may alert the cops to our possible presence and they would take a more active role in looking for us. If we don't ask, we could just plead ignorance if we are approached. However, that kinda stinks too because then you are always looking over your shoulder while climbing which isn't much fun either. Any suggestions of how to approach the city forrester would be appreciated. I could spearhead the effort with the right approach.

• Brian Trautz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122900 by Brian Trautz
Replied by Brian Trautz on topic nj climbing
I live in NW NJ , sussex county , Sparta. I just completed the basic climbing course 2 wks ago & just ordered my gear yesterday . Is there anyone in the sussex county or nearby area who 's climbin ? I'm plannin' to start solo with someone on the ground but would enjoy climbin' with other's, Brian

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122955 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic NJ?
Well, I've think I've found the best climbing tree's in Belmar. Besides all those on private property, there is a school right on Main Street (at the corner of 12th) with some nice Sycamores in the "front yard." They aren't huge trees, but they are a perfect place to hang a hammock.

So what are the chances of them letting me climb there. I say 5%

love
nick

ps-- I found another little park by a tiny lake over on 8th Ave. There are a bunch of tiny trees and one sycamore that could be climbed with minimal hassle from the law.

Also, up on 138, heading out of town, there is another park on the little bay there. It has some short trees, but I've climbed there twice now, in full view of people, and no cops have shown up yet. The tree's aren't super, but it's a decent place to try new things out.

There are many GRAND tree's on private residences here in Belmar. One large cottonwood that I keep daydreaming about and plenty of nice oaks and sycamores to make this a tree climbers haven! Problem is....access. Gotta ask nicely, I guess.

More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123375 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Belmar is Golden!!!
I went to a park today to climb a tree. It was a Cottonwood, maybe 85' tall. Nice tree.

Well, as I was throwing in my line (I had taken 5 throws --70'-- at this point, 4 of which went too far right) a cop pulled up. Just at that moment, it hit me that the wind was pushing my shots to the right each time. Ignoring the cop, I aimed a bit left, threw it up and it hit perfect!

Okay, so I was excited to hit the shot, but now nervous about the cop. I proceeded clipping on my climbing line, then the cop walks over. I say hi, but continue on. He asks if I am working today. I say, "Nope, just practicing."

"What, for mountain climbing?"
"No, I'm an arborist (he looks confused)....a tree climber (still confounded)....I'm a tree trimmer."
"Oh, I see. That was quite a shot you made. Was that your first one?"
"Yes, sir. I almost always get it on the first try."

He laughs, "Nice day to climb a tree, idn't it?"
"Oh, I couldn't complain one bit...other than the heat," I reply.

He turns around, beginning back to his car. He gets five step and I say, "I have a question...Are there any laws or rules about climbing trees in the park?"

(This is the best part)

Without even thinking about it Officer Kevin says, "No, not that I'm aware of. It's no different than if you were out here flying a kite. Be careful up there." Then he leaves.

So does this mean we have permission to climb Belmar trees? I don't know. It does mean that there is one police officer in town who doesn't object to it.

I saw him look at my helmet, and a first aid kit with a big red cross on it right next to the helmet. That might have made an impression on him.

Also, don't plan any major trips. There aren't a lot of trees to climb in this town. Actually, there are tons of beautiful oaks, sycamores, and one SUPER HUGE cottonwood that I know of...but they are all in peoples yards. There are about 3 available trees that are decent.

Climb safe and be respectful to (or at least avoid) the law enforcers!

love
nick

• hedonistichigh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 7 months ago - 19 years 7 months ago #123979 by hedonistichigh
Replied by hedonistichigh on topic NJ?
Hey Everyone, I'm new to this!

I would love to try climbing with someone who knows a good area to do so. I live In Morris County, NW NJ. Any one hear of Mt. Olive? Eventually I want to sleep in a tree, it seems like an awesome experience. I just hope I don't encounter too many spiders....lol

Jillane

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124312 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic NJ?
This is indeed an interesting find!
A New Jersey tree climbers thread. Its an oxymoron of sorts, eh?

I have been a resident of central New Jersey for close to 50 years, and trees, nice big fat old-growth climbers are far and few between.
I’m always on the look-out for nice climbers. I carry a small GPS unit with me and I geoMark anything that even looks like a good climber.
Needless to say, my database of good climbers is miniscule.

IMHO, any tree that a cop or ranger could literally drive up to, or even see from the road, is way too urban to be climbed. (yes/no?)

Just my 2 cents worth.
Any NJ Tree Boaters out there?
:)

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124327 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic NJ?
NJ tree climbing and oxymoron? I though NJ was alright for trees. All the great one's were in peoples yards, but I found a few good climbers.

I like your rule that if a cop can drive up to it, it's ruled out as a good tree!

love
nick

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds