Self rescue techniques?

• Phriday
  • Phriday's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #137131 by Phriday
Self rescue techniques? was created by Phriday
Greetings, everyone. I am green to treeclimbing and have ordered a minimal amount of gear based on recommendations by you fine folks (and some exhaustive research). When it arrives, I will spend some time at low altitude (feet just off the ground) familiarizing myself with the physics of my Ddrt climbing system with a split tail and Blake's hitch. One of the things I have been unable to find is some discussion on self-rescue techniques, should I find myself in a situation. The 3 most likely scenarios I can imagine are:

1. My hitch binds tightly enough that I cannot easily break it

2. My climbing rope, on descent, gets caught on something (maybe my clothing or gear, maybe a lower branch), not easily allowing rope to pay out

3. I get twisted around somehow and find myself upside down or otherwise funkified in my harness

How might I go about remedying my situation in cases like these? Are there other "usual" things that happen all the time?

I understand there's no magic bullet, but I'd like to have some sort of plan in the chamber to overcome common issues while in the tree.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #137132 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic Self rescue techniques?
As you get started, climb with someone who's experienced. It's much safer to climb with another person, especially if you're just starting out. It's good you're thinking about possible scenarios. Climbing requires you to be alert for potential problems.

1. If your hitch gets tight, you could stand up in your footloops (if you're using them) to take the load off the hitch, then work on breaking it open and loosen it a little bit.

2.Don't wear loose clothing, tuck in long hair, and be careful not to allow your gloves (if your using them) to get caught in your climbing hitch. otherwise, your climbing line should be okay.

3. Getting twisted around happens frequently as your rope twists, which generally isn't a big deal. However, be careful when descending not to come down to hard or fast. You don't want to get into the uncomfortable situation of sitting down hard on your foot ascender (if you're using one.)

Mainly, take it slow and keep your wits about you. Hanging upside down in a bat hang can be a lot of fun, provided your feet are free. You can raise yourself up by dropping your legs. If you don't feel comfortable about doing some maneuver, like limb walking for instance, then don't do it. Wait until you have someone experienced around who can demystify the process and help you through it. :)

More
9 years 5 months ago #137133 by dogwood
Also, If you don't have it, I would highly recommend you get a copy of the video, "Tree Climbing Basics" with Peter Jenkins, available on this website. Watch it a few times before you get started. The other thing is, look into getting some instruction, and try to find someone to climb with who knows what they're doing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tree-D

• Phriday
  • Phriday's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #137134 by Phriday
Replied by Phriday on topic Self rescue techniques?
Right on, and thanks for the advice.

Now, anybody know any climbers in the New Orleans area?

More
9 years 5 months ago #137135 by dogwood
Check out Climber Finder on the home page, or get in touch with Patty Jenkins. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone! :)

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds