Sticking to the Basics

• Tree-D
  • Tree-D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
9 years 10 months ago #136763 by Tree-D
Sticking to the Basics was created by Tree-D
Just throwing out a vote/shout for what you can accomplish using the tried-and-true methods taught in TCI classes.

In the last nine months, I have logged 43 climbs in 23 different trees, representing eight species (redwood, incense cedar, weeping blue atlas cedar, fir, white oak, valley oak, live oak, bay laurel). I've spent as many as five hours with my feet off the ground, and I've been up over 200'. I have set up a Treeboat and a Sky Chair, and kicked-back aloft. I have made a few traverses between trees... the farthest being 30-40 feet, and have made many vertical pitches, both up and down, using both DRT and SRT. I did all of this using DRT as taught in the Basic Tree Week; and Texas, Yo-Yo, and rappelling as taught in Advanced SRT.

No fancy innovations to report. Just having a lot of fun with the basics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flycraft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #136770 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Sticking to the Basics
Nothing wrong with the basics. All I do is DRT with a spli tail. That's it. No foot ascenders. I foot lock. Leather rope savers. I like to travel light. As I have stated else where on here, nothing wrong with going high tech. Just not my cup of java.

Sounds like you have been a busy little tree monkey. Nice. There's nothing like being aloft.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #136776 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Sticking to the Basics
I'm somewhat envious. We don't have tall trees like that around here. If I get up to 40ft I'm at the TIP. I have no need for SRT.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Davej.

More
9 years 10 months ago #136777 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Sticking to the Basics
@Dave: I feel bad for you brother. 40' is just getting into the groove of a climb. Here in PA we have a lot of great clbing. Most of my climbs are in the 60' - 85' range. With lots of canopy spread to hike around in. My highest climb hit the 120' mark. It was a very massive sycamore growing streamside near here. It had a twin growing only 20' away. I do hope you get the chance to double your typicle height soon. Keep looking. You'll find one.

All the best.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds