Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture

• dogwood
  • dogwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 3 months ago #136302 by dogwood
DdRT is a great system, which I'll continue to use and explore, but since SRT is there, I'm irresistibly drawn to it. I've received some sage advice on this forum and elsewhere, which to paraphrase, says, don't jump into it lightly. So before I jump from a fifty foot high branch on a Rope Wrench, I've decided to set up a Hitch Climber on my DdRT system, and begin to get familiar with some new cordage and hitches, low and slow. I've been watching tons of videos and reading technical literature, and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about this. Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture, 2nd edition which is put out by TCIA, contains up to date info on the rapidly changing field of SRT, and it's designed as a manual for anyone working or climbing in trees. So I just sent for it today. And I promise I'll climb with someone experienced, before I try to do some fool thing on my own with a brand new set up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #136366 by TreeNate
Replied by TreeNate on topic Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture
I would say just grab some ascenders and go up the rope. At first you can use your double rope technique for a redundant backup, just keep the slack out of the system. I can't imagine anything safer than SRT and DRT at the same time :)

• dogwood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 1 month ago #136367 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture
My first climbing experience was just that, used the ascenders to go up, and an I'D to go down. I've been working with a hitch climber and an XT hitch lately. The fact that it's self tending is a big plus for me. It's easier than working with the Blake's hitch. My next step will be to add a Rope Wrench and a tether, and a Haas ascender. Along with that, a new double braid climbing line, and I'll be pretty well set up. The thing that really interests me is getting more mobility in the crown, but first I have to put a penny or two away!

More
10 years 1 month ago #136373 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture
Have you tried the Texas System for SRT yet. (using two mechanical ascenders).
Also try using simpler systems like some of the ones shown here at the Coalition Site. http://www.treeclimbercoalition.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2017
Hope this helps.

• dogwood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 1 month ago #136374 by dogwood
Thanks, Nate and Oldtimer. I enjoy learning about new systems. Finding a way to get there that works well and is simple and cost effective is fun. I'll have to give that WRADS system a try. The Wrench has been in my head for some time now, so I'll have to try it out. It looks like it gives great value for the money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TreeNate

More
10 years 1 month ago #136375 by TreeNate
Replied by TreeNate on topic Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture
I've been playing around with a tree frog set up lately. It's a little more bicep work than I thought it would be, but better than many other SRT systems I have tried.

More
10 years 1 month ago #136376 by oldtimer
I got a wrench at the last rendezvous and tried a few times and was not able to make it work as easy as they show in the videos (other climbers swear by it.) Apparently there are too many variables associated with its used that I am not able to resolve: Being Young, being Fit, other type of special climbing rope, being light weight, special pulley, special type and length of cordage for the back up knot and finally my trees are too short! They even asked me if I was a full time arborist (?) so good luck with that one.

• dogwood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 1 month ago #136378 by dogwood
Right now my climbing line is a 150' Samson BRW, and I really like it. Maybe the wrench will work on it. But at some point I'm gonna have to break down and buy a 24 strand double braid to get into SRT. I have the Hitch Climber and some Ocean Polyester, and that's been working out well. I'll still have to cough up a few beans for that equipment, which I'm not ready to do just yet. If you get tired of your Wrench, let me know!

More
10 years 1 month ago #136384 by oldtimer
A good article posted and written by Tom Dunlap on SRT Techniques check it out here. http://www.treebuzz.com/pdf/SingleRope.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: UniversalCanopy, TreeNate

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds