My Technique

• GermanyBert
  • GermanyBert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #136143 by GermanyBert
My Technique was created by GermanyBert
Been reading all the threads here and realize that my climbing technique is different then anything I have read. I started really getting into this in the spring. Last year I learned to rappel. Mainly climb for geocaches but now want to do it just for the sake of climbing.

I am wondering if my technique is different because it is the European way (I live in Germany).

From what I am reading I suppose I am using the SRT method.

Equipment I use are:

50 meter 10 MM static line
Petzl Navaho Fast Bod
GriGri2
Petzl Ascender with foot sling
Petzl micro prusik pulley.

Method.

1. Attach GriGri2 to harness and rope
2. Attach ascender to rope
3. Attach pulley to rope
4. Attach pulley to beener and then through top hole on ascender

I take out the slack then raise the ascender. Pull up and pull the slack out which brings the GriGri to the bottom of the ascender. Raise the ascender and repeat.

Forgot to mention that the rope is anchored to the tree I am climbing or a nearby tree.

So, what do you think? I am very comfortable with this method. I started out with just a regular sport harness but it is not comfortable when I have to hang for a while or climb a long way. I did a 25 meter climb with the sport harness and it about worm me out. Since switching to the Navaho Bod I don't get worn out nearly as fast and I am able to stop and rest comfortably.

From what I have read and seen on YouTube no one is using the method. Are there any pros or cons to my method?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GermanyBert
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #136144 by GermanyBert
Replied by GermanyBert on topic My Technique
Forgot to mention. To come down I simply remove the ascender and belay down with the GriGri.

More
10 years 6 months ago #136146 by moss
Replied by moss on topic My Technique
Yes, it's a well known technique. Was originally invented in the U.S. and named the Yo Yo. I believe Petzl renamed it the RADS (Rapid Ascent and Descent System). Many recreational and work tree climbers use it. Main consideration with the RADS or any SRT technique is the quality of your anchor when you tie off at the base of a tree, load is doubled on the limb in the tree.

RADS is not the most efficient SRT system but it is very simple to operate and uses less gear than many SRT systems. One of its big benefits is the easy switchover from ascent to descent mode.
-AJ

• GermanyBert
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #136147 by GermanyBert
Replied by GermanyBert on topic My Technique
Thanks for the info. Glad to know what it is called.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds