Is there a more efficient DDRT system?

• cedar paul
  • cedar paul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #134937 by cedar paul
Is there a more efficient DDRT system? was created by cedar paul
Since I got back from Bob Wrays I have been climbing on P.I. using a Petzl Pantin on my right foot and then footlocking with my left and thrusting with both feet. This new line is so slick to footlock alone I get no grip. My question is there anyway to incorporate perhaps a hand ascender to make things easier? I am using a splittail system taught by Bob and I really like it but if I could add something to make it more efficient I am all ears. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #134939 by moss
cedar paul wrote:

Since I got back from Bob Wrays I have been climbing on P.I. using a Petzl Pantin on my right foot and then footlocking with my left and thrusting with both feet. This new line is so slick to footlock alone I get no grip. My question is there anyway to incorporate perhaps a hand ascender to make things easier? I am using a splittail system taught by Bob and I really like it but if I could add something to make it more efficient I am all ears. Thanks in advance.

If you're having trouble footlocking the tail with both feet I'd take a look at what you're wearing on your feet, you shouldn't have any problem with PI. If the heel is too high the rope will slip when you try to lock.

Can you provide more detail on what isn't working well for you? Where exactly in the ascent cycle are you having trouble?
-Andrew

• cedar paul
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #134940 by cedar paul
Replied by cedar paul on topic Re:Is there a more efficient DDRT system?
Moss, like I said I am using the Pantin on the right foot and footlocking with the left with pretty good results. While I am not setting any speed records I can safely climb and decend using Bobs method I was just wondering if anything could be added to perhaps make it a little easier.I have tried 2 different boots styles and this new rope is very slick-perhaps after 10 or so climbs rotating ends I'll get a better footlock. I was footlocking no problem at Bob's but the rope was well worn in. I was going to try a home made chest harness(a dyneema loop twisted into a figure 8 and then fasten a micro pulley to it) and perhaps maintaining a more upright position will help some.

More
13 years 6 months ago #134946 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Is there a more efficient DDRT system?
Here's something that may help with your footlock "grab" issues.
I mostly wear a work boot with a low heel. I've found that when I footlock, I get a better "bight" if I lock the rope more towards the ankle instead of directly on top of the arch of the foot.

• cedar paul
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #134948 by cedar paul
I am heading out to climb and will give that a try. Thanks!

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #134954 by canadiantreeman
Replied by canadiantreeman on topic Re:Is there a more efficient DDRT system?
Here's some vids, folks. Its pretty much the easiest way to DdRT, IMO. Very smooth.

And the follow up:

This is Mr. Gerald Beranek. A veritable font of tree climbing wisdom.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by canadiantreeman.

More
13 years 5 months ago #134966 by rbutera
Replied by rbutera on topic Re:Is there a more efficient DDRT system?
I have found the same with a single loop foot lock as well. I have two pairs of boots, and the one without a flatter sole (no separate heel sticking out) is much easier to footlock with.

• cedar paul
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #134969 by cedar paul
I made up the DLRW system as Jerry B. illustrated on YouTube and it works quite well. I still can't find any footwear that I can footlock on this Poison Ivy though. Do I need to look for a boot that has no heel? This stuff is very slick!

More
13 years 5 months ago #134970 by moss
cedar paul wrote:

I made up the DLRW system as Jerry B. illustrated on YouTube and it works quite well. I still can't find any footwear that I can footlock on this Poison Ivy though. Do I need to look for a boot that has no heel? This stuff is very slick!

Keep working on your technique you'll get it. I suspect you aren't getting a positive grab where you're standing on the part of the rope on the top of your foot. Footling the tail DRT is more difficult to master than footlocking doubled rope in "secured footlock" technique, keep practicing.
-Andrew

• cedar paul
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #134972 by cedar paul
Hey Andrew, when using the single footlock in conjunction with the Pantin on rt foot) am I missing something as how you "pinch" the rope with the footlock? Bob Wray taught me to point the foot down on the power stroke and then raise the toe to advance the line. No matter what position I put the foot the rope just slips and I get no bite. Are you pinching it against the other foot?

More
13 years 5 months ago #134973 by moss
cedar paul wrote:

Hey Andrew, when using the single footlock in conjunction with the Pantin on rt foot) am I missing something as how you "pinch" the rope with the footlock? Bob Wray taught me to point the foot down on the power stroke and then raise the toe to advance the line. No matter what position I put the foot the rope just slips and I get no bite. Are you pinching it against the other foot?

Sounds like you have it set up on your foot wrong, should look like this on the lockdown, reverse for left foot of course, it won't work if the rope is looped any other way.

• cedar paul
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #134978 by cedar paul
I am using my left foot and have the rope running correctly but still can't get it to grip. Is there a possibility that P.I. is not the best rope for this?

More
13 years 5 months ago #134980 by rbutera
Coincidental datapoint.

I've been climbing less than a year (about 20 climbs) on a safety blue rope, using a single foot lock.

Today my PI arrived and I tried it out. In my case, I actually found it footlocked even easier. I use a flat-soled boot similar to what moss posted above.

It took me a few climbs before I got the feel of the footlock - keep at it?

On an unrelated note, I love this rope! Lighter, runs smooth as butter, yet the knots still grab well. The climb felt smoother and faster.

• cedar paul
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #134981 by cedar paul
What kind of boots are you guys using because I have tried 4 different pairs so far and I get anything that enables me to do it. I was successful when I first learned this "single footlocking" but it was on well worn rope. If I did not have a Pantin I wouldn't be climbing at all. I have too many pairs of footwear and need another pair like a hole in the head but I might have no choice to pick up some inexpensive Merrills or some thing with no pronounced heel- that what i gather looking at moss's pics.

More
13 years 5 months ago #134982 by rbutera
I have noname flat-soled boots (old pair I've had for 10+ years), but it also works wearing flat-soled cross-training sneakers. So try a pair of sneakers before you buy any footwear?

I can footlock with my heeled boots, but the rope doesn't run as smooth (gets caught on the heel) and sometimes the rope doesn't grab as well when it gets right against the heel in the "gap" between the heel and sole.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds