RADS (yo yo) Foot loop length

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 3 months ago #134343 by nickfromwi
RADS (yo yo) Foot loop length was created by nickfromwi
A few years ago I looked at the RADS system and for whatever reason it didn't really catch my eye. Recently that has changed.

I'm noticing there isn't "that" much to tweak in the system other than the length of the foot loop.

Now keeping in mind that I'm just heading out now to putz around with it for my first time, so I'm sure I'll come back with the answers (or close to it), but how long do you RADSers like the foot loop?

I'm seeing two options. Short (to keep everything close) and long (like from the bottom of your feet to as high up as you can reach...7-8').

We'll see how it goes! I got a Valley Oak with my name all over it! not literally... :silly:

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 3 months ago #134344 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re:RADS (yo yo) Foot loop length
For reference, here's a pic of the system, pulled from Sherrill catalog...

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 3 months ago #134345 by nickfromwi
For reference, here's a pic of the system, pulled from Sherrill catalog...

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 3 months ago #134346 by nickfromwi
Lets try again...

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 3 months ago #134347 by nickfromwi
Okay- the first one was too big of file size (has to be <150kb), then the second one was too wide (has to be <800 pixels)

This one might work..

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 3 months ago #134348 by nickfromwi
THAT one was too tall (also has to be <800 pixels)

This one should work...

Attachments:

More
14 years 3 months ago #134355 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:RADS (yo yo) Foot loop length
You've probably already figured it out Nick but I determine a RADS footloop length for myself or any climber by the following:

1. Determine the highest position of the ascender during the ascent cycle.
2. Determine the highest foot position that is comfortable to stand up on when the ascender is in its highest position.
3. The distance from the bottom of the extended ascender to the foot in the up position is the ideal footloop length for the climber.

Best to have an adjustable length footloop strap, the only way to find the ideal length is by trial and error. Some climbers prefer to take a bigger gulp per pull then others. It won't help the climber if the step they take on the footstrap moves them higher then the max distance they can move up under the ascender per pull.
-moss

More
14 years 2 months ago #134360 by emr
Replied by emr on topic Re:RADS (yo yo) Foot loop length
I thought a shorter footloop would be better when I first started playing with RADS. I found out in a hurry that longer is better for me. My footloop that I use for my modified frog system was way too short. Now I have a specific footloop for RADS and one for my frog. What did you decide on? I have a feeling that if you are still playing around with it that you spliced up an adjustable footloop out of Yalex.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134361 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:RADS (yo yo) Foot loop length
I'm slightly curious about this technique. How efficient is the Grigri compared to a pulley?

More
14 years 2 months ago #134362 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:RADS (yo yo) Foot loop length
Davej wrote:

. How "efficient" is the Grigri compared to a pulley?

You are confused Dave. You use both pieces of gear on this set up and they are doing different work so there is not "comparison" of efficiency between them.

Now you could replace the Pulley with a Revolver binner and there you can have "comparisons" between the efficiency of either one versus the other.

The Grigri acts as "progress capture" piece.
The pulley acts just to reduce friction on the rope while being pulled down by your right hand. (Also, You could actually do the RADS w/o using a pulley.

Most of the ascending effort is done by the left leg and sit and stand actions of the climber. :laugh:

More
14 years 2 months ago #134364 by Davej
oldtimer wrote:

Most of the ascending effort is done by the left leg and sit and stand actions of the climber. :laugh:

Oh, sorry. It looks like you have a "leg or arm" option for ascent, but I guess that would be pretty silly.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #134367 by moss
Davej wrote:

oldtimer wrote:

Oh, sorry. It looks like you have a "leg or arm" option for ascent, but I guess that would be pretty silly.

Different ways to climb RADS, it's versatile.

If you want to ascend 1:1 push the ascender up to its highest position, grab the handle with left hand, grab the rope just below the pulley with the right hand. Stand up on the footloop with your left foot, use your left arm to help lift you up, use your right arm on the rope to also help. You're sharing the load between your left foot, left arm and right arm. The right arm is having an easier time of it since it's pulling the 3:1 portion of the system.

If you want to ascend 3:1 arms only (I think it's 3:1) pull on the rope below the pulley with both arms. I do this sometimes when I'm worming my way through a tight squeeze SRT. It's good for short moves through a difficult spot, similar to the way body thrusting can be used for a short move through a difficult "passage" DRT.
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by moss.

More
14 years 2 months ago #134368 by Davej
moss wrote:

If you want to ascend 3:1 arms only (I think it's 3:1) pull on the rope below the pulley with both arms. I do this sometimes when I'm worming my way through a tight squeeze SRT.

So do you think the rope slides through the Grigri without much more effort than a pulley?

More
14 years 2 months ago #134369 by moss
Davej wrote:

So do you think the rope slides through the Grigri without much more effort than a pulley?

Much more friction through a Grigri than through a pulley.
-moss

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 2 months ago #134371 by nickfromwi
So I gave it a shot. Like anything it was awkward at first, but I got used to it a little. Moving around the tree SRT on an I'D was fast. That'll take more practice.

I never found a rhythm with the RADS that felt efficient to me. To me I felt like I was stopping and starting with each raise of the top ascender. I'd raise it up a foot, then have to take several armfulls of rope out of the tail to raise the I'D up. All in all, I didn't like it, but then again, I only tried it for a total of 50'.

I'll give it another go, though. I have kinks to work out before I can really say what I think about it.

For the foot loop length, I toyed with long and short and both. Neither seemed natural to me. I can't tell where I'm TRYING to get it to.

With the ropewalker, I could feel on the first time what needed to be adjusted. I don't want to do a compare/contrast on these two systems, but I did notice that with the RADS, I could barely tell what it was that didn't seem smooth to me.

Stay tuned..

love
nick

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds