• TreeTramp
  • TreeTramp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
14 years 8 months ago #133964 by TreeTramp
foot loop versions was created by TreeTramp
Foot Loop Idea

My current version that we are using is a simple cord tied in the Double Crown knot to form a loop for each foot. I also disliked using the Prussic or a cam device on the down rope so in searching the many friction hitches I settled on a Bachman. It is kind of like the Kleimheist but with a utility biner wrapped up along side of the down rope. It grabs nicely when loaded; slides easy to advance and it even slides down the rope when descending as the Blake’s Hitch pushes it down.
I am not completely down with another version but covet your thoughts about this: We all know just how easy the Blake’s is to use so why not use it on the down rope also. Using a traditional doubled-rope tie in then you have the other end of the rope just laying on the ground. Seeing how most students’ hands are soft as butter they could use a larger grip on the down rope along with a foot loop. So how does this sound? Tie a figure eight to use as a handle near the bitter end of the down rope with enough tail for another Blake’s; where you would normally attached the foot loop with a Prussic tie on with the second Blake’s; further along below the F8 tie a Butterfly large enough for a foot.

To use you would stand in the loop, pull down holding on the F8 and the lower Blake’s concentrates all of your pull on the down rope with an easy grip-hold-stand. This eliminates the need for the accessory cord, biner, cam etc.

If you want to add hardware then a 17” sewn runner comes in handy. I was stung by a bee in the middle of my palm so needless to say I had a useless hand and zero grip. I used the runner tied to the down rope using a Kleimheist and then looped the runner around the back of my bum hand. By making a loose fist I could pull down with almost zero grip. For the next cycle I could advance the runner with my other hand and was able to climb just about one handed.

See you at the top,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #133967 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re: foot loop versions
I've been experimenting with some spliced versions similar to the sewn ones TCI has. I'm refining the recipe right now, but I think it'll work out perfectly for this application.

I learned the bachman many, many years ago. I've never used it though (other than just putzing around with it). This seems like it might be a good place for it.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds