• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #132971 by Davej
Climbing sick trees? was created by Davej

Dean wrote:
It's unfortunate because this tree is one of my most fun trees to climb. After I saw this though, I don't think I should climb it anymore.

As a rec climber the avoidance of sick trees is the standard recommendation. The danger of injury probably increases exponentially as a tree degrades. A TIP may break. A dead or rotted or cracked limb may unexpectedly fall. Hunks of bark could detach and fall on you. Increased chance of encountering bees or wasps. In an extreme case the entire tree might even fall over. What else could happen?

Still... I plan to climb sick trees, because maintaining my own trees will be the main purpose of my climbing. So I plan to take whatever precautions I can think of; dual crotching, ring-type friction savers, lanyards. Certainly I will climb so as to avoid being under any suspected hazards. If a situation seems too dangerous I will rent a bucket. Other suggestions are welcome.

http://www.genieindustries.com/tmz-series/tz-50.asp
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Davej.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #132973 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Climbing sick trees?
From the point of view of rec climbing we have the choice to be able to pick the healthiest and most optimal tree to climb. What you're describing is work climbing, even though you're not doing it as a professional you are talking about climbing trees to perform specific tasks related to tree maintenance or health. Nothing wrong with that but I wanted to point out the difference. Climbing a tree for work purposes is a more advanced form of climbing and requires more climbing skill and experience and skill in structural assessment to perform the work safely. For a new climber I'd recommend getting as much climbing experience as possible in optimal trees before taking on trees with possible structural issues. Even climbing the best possible tree you're going to have potentially dangerous things happen as part of your learning process. Note that I'm not saying that dangerous situations might occur, I'm saying they will occur. If you try to combine that learning process with problematic trees your overall risk just went up substantially.

A while back I facilitated a first roped climb for a person. A week later they posted to a forum that they'd topped out a Norway Maple. They were an experienced chain saw user, on the ground. Neverthless I nearly went ballistic when I heard about it. This climber was nowhere near ready in their climbing skill to be performing that sort of task. Confidence or theoretical knowledge has nothing to do with actual capability. I've learned that lesson myself the hard way.
-moss

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #132982 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Climbing sick trees?

moss wrote:
From the point of view of rec climbing we have the choice to be able to pick the healthiest and most optimal tree to climb.

Oh, and I will stay in my healthiest trees, at least for the first year or so, but it is a rare tree that doesn't have a least a few issues.
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Davej.

More
15 years 2 months ago #132989 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Climbing sick trees?

Confidence or theoretical knowledge has nothing to do with actual capability. I've learned that lesson myself the hard way

I have done three complete tree removals and a lot of branch trimming and cleaning and every one of them has given me the sensation that I could have made a tragic error. A couple of times I got hit by branches I cut and some other situations that I think a professional Arborist were more likely to have prevented or be prepared by studying the situation by previous experience and by having the proper gear and ground helpers nearby.

So, I strongly suggest REC Climbers leave the Arboriculture work to the professionals. They are likely to have specialized training, proper gear and likely to have personal and liability insurance. :blush:

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #132991 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Climbing sick trees?
oldtimer wrote:

...I strongly suggest REC Climbers leave the Arboriculture work to the professionals. They are likely to have specialized training, proper gear and likely to have personal and liability insurance. :blush:

I agree, oldtimer.

Insurance? Oh yeah, that's huge! That's one piece of equipment most of us can not afford.
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Baker.

More
15 years 2 months ago #133005 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Climbing sick trees?

Baker wrote:Insurance:That's one piece of equipment most of us can not afford.

That would be the main reason for staying away from formal Tree work. I have been reminded a few times that I destroyed a small tree (seedling) growing in my neighbor's yard during one of the tree removals from my property.

Also if you have a chance and some time to kill search on U-tube for \"Narcoleptic climber\" and you see what I am talking about having Insurance. :blush:

More
15 years 2 months ago #133007 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Climbing sick trees?
oldtimer wrote:

Baker wrote:Insurance:That's one piece of equipment most of us can not afford.

That would be the main reason for staying away from formal Tree work. I have been reminded a few times that I destroyed a small tree (seedling) growing in my neighbor's yard during one of the tree removals from my property.

Also if you have a chance and some time to kill search on U-tube for \"Narcoleptic climber\" and you see what I am talking about having Insurance. :blush:

James the so-called narcoleptic climber should take his show on the road, I love the way he crushed that car. It could be very entertaining as an exhibition sport, similar to demolition derby. But it can happen to you, branches and trees can do very strange things once you make the cut.
-moss

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 2 months ago #133008 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Climbing sick trees?

oldtimer wrote:
So, I strongly suggest REC Climbers leave the Arboriculture work to the professionals. They are likely to have specialized training, proper gear and likely to have personal and liability insurance. :blush:

Well, I think it becomes a whole different topic when you start talking about providing a service and working on trees on someone else's property.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds