total free climb

• alaois
  • alaois's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127906 by alaois
total free climb was created by alaois
I've never climbed with ropes, harnesses, or anything of the sort. Stupid or not, I prefer the danger level and freedom. I've never met a tree I couldn't climb, and I've climbed tons of trees. Had one bad fall once, got right back up. Did the whole physics equation and determined I hit the ground at 14 mph... ouch... but I went right back up that same tree the next day and got to the top.

Anyway, with trees without low branches I use a rope of some sort to pull the lowest long branch, so long as it is strong enough, down and then climb up that branch; or if that is not possible do the whole hugging the tree climbing thing.

Is this place for me or am I too dangerous? :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127907 by moss
Replied by moss on topic total free climb
You're only dangerous when you exceed your capability. Sounds like you've hit that point at least once. Rope and harness expands your movement options in a tree, your arms and legs are only so long.
-moss

• alaois
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127908 by alaois
Replied by alaois on topic total free climb
well, I'd call it more of a freak accident due to being distracted by talking to people on the ground and shimmying between two trunks in the rain

anyway, I've never found myself limited in any tree, if a branch is beyond reach one can always jump to it.

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127909 by moss

Originally posted by alaois
well, I'd call it more of a freak accident due to being distracted by talking to people on the ground and shimmying between two trunks in the rain

anyway, I've never found myself limited in any tree, if a branch is beyond reach one can always jump to it.

You're in charge of your safety when you're climbing, if you let something distract you into falling it's not a freak accident.

I don't know where you're located but if you're in the New England area I can show you many dozens of trees that cannot be shimmied, or otherwise free climbed by any method. The trunks are way too wide to get your arms and legs around, there are no handholds and the first branches are waaay to high to use the method you describe. I love free climbing but you are limited in your tree selection.

I'd love to see you try, so let me know if you're in the northeast U.S.

Climb safe!
-moss

• alaois
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127910 by alaois
hmm... well I have gotten up many a tree I was told would be impossible... but New England's a bit too far away for the gas prices for me to go on an ego defending trip. but I know the types of trees youre talking about, and I have used tools before, usually fashioned from whatever I have available around me (sticks, vines, et cetera) but never hanging ropes.

• alaois
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127911 by alaois
just to clarify, I didn't intend to imply the fall was not my fault, by 'freak accident' i simply intended to say I was not outside my capability level, but that I made a mistake in allowing myself to be distracted when I should have paid attention to keeping my grip and since I had stopped to talk to someone, I should have had a handhold for backup in case my feet slipped off the other trunk. mea culpa.

also, I don't in any way mean to degrade rope tree climbers... I'm glad to have found that there does exist some sort of professional tree climbers (which is what I was searching for when I found this site). I'm just dissapointed at not seeing any sorts of competitions for complete free-climb without any safety ropes or anything; cause I was thinking if I had a chance to be good in any kind of tree climbing competition that would be it.

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #127912 by moss
Sorry , didn't mean to get legalistic on you ie: "freak accident" or otherwise :-) Tree climbers have to be very clear about what we're talking about, life or death can depend on it.

I'm sure you have great skills, no need to defend your ego. There are many trees that you can climb, there are many that you cannot, you're human (I assume). If you do a search on Bareroots in the TCI message board you'll find a kindred spirit. Bareroots has learned how to climb with rope, I'm sure he enjoys a free climb now and then, as I do.

Arborist professional organizations are the only ones I know of that hold tree climbing competitions. They require rope back-up because people have died in competition. Also, arborists need to be encouraged to climb safely, not the other way. There are already too many ways to be killed on the job.

Recreational climbers are generally non-competitive, mileage will vary from climber to climber. I like a challenge, and find many everytime I climb. We're looking for quality tree time, not a race to the top.
-moss

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128165 by ajakz12
Replied by ajakz12 on topic An evolving sport
Tree climbing seems to be panning out in the history books very much like rock climbing. Slowly gaining in popularity, as the equipment progresses. It seems to be branching out simularly with the technical and the freeclimbers. Both new climbers and folks that are like "it's a tree, I climb it, allways have, what ropes O.K. I'm game" No one seems to Millitant about "there true way". I appretiate the mellow attitude.

It's said we may be evolved from monkeys, some more so than others.

The only person you have to be better than, is yourself from yesterday.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128172 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic total free climb
Moss wrote:

hey require rope back-up because people have died in competition.

People have been injured during comps but as far as I know, no deaths.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128173 by moss

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
Moss wrote:

hey require rope back-up because people have died in competition.

People have been injured during comps but as far as I know, no deaths.

Thanks for the clarification Tom. I'd heard a second-hand report that a person (singular) had died in competition falling from low height. Glad to hear that it's not true.
-moss

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128528 by mowgli
Replied by mowgli on topic total free climb
I am from the UK and enjoy freeclimbing trees for thrills too! I have used ropes and harness at work and find them too restrictive to have any fun, I know they are essential for any professional tree work, and i know a lot of people to enjoy using them, but freeclimbing with rockclimbers has such more popularity and respect as a sport, why can't it be with trees?!

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds