How high can you hit?

• mateo12
  • mateo12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127441 by mateo12
How high can you hit? was created by mateo12
With the Big Shot and hand throwing? I've personally hit 120' and about 80' (took me 1.5 hrs), respectively. I am curious for a few reasons, how high can you hit with the Big Shot, and what's the setup used? I've thought about a 4oz. throwbag with 50 lbs fishing line (spectra stuff)... could you hit 200+ ft with a rig like that? So what's your personal best, and how high could you get it to go?

mateo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127448 by Rod Justice
Replied by Rod Justice on topic How high can you hit?
In Panama, we were using 3-4 oz lead weights with the fishing line and I believe we could have easily hit 200 ft with that, Joe Maher could verify that. He could also verify that Abe Winters hit a branch at 103 ft with a hand throw last year. The man's a beast.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127450 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic How far can you hit?
The second time I used my Big Shot I got over two yards down into my neighbors trees w/ a 3 ounce weight. The problems is not how high I got but did the weight made it back to the ground? I did not.
It took me a few months to climb into the tree and rescue my throw weight.
Sherrill have used the big shot in demos and they mention in their catalog that it can go 100 ft up and 100 ft across with regular 3 to 20 ounce weights. Joe an other in Panama regularly go very high with lighter weights and fishing line as mentioned in the post from Rod J.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127451 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic How high can you hit?
I have only used a big shot once with a 10 oz bag and it didn't go any farther then I could throw it.
I use a 10 oz but have an 8 oz for something really tall and use the zing-it 2.2 mill. line. I fond that the 1.8 gets tangled to easy. 80ft is pretty easy to hit with this set up. I max. out somewhere between 90 and 100 ft. by hand. Hope this helps.

See you at the top.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127465 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic How high can you hit?
I can throw with passable accuracy up to about 60-70 ft. Anything above that and my accuracy seems to be an expotentially increasing inverse relationship with my frustration level and the amount of curse words that start flowing under my breath. That's when I have to break out the Big Shot. With a ten ounce weight and 1.75mm Zingit I can easily hit 120+ft shots. With an eight ounce weight probably 150+. I have my Bigshot setup with a trigger though, and this makes it much easier to setup for those really high shots.

The first time I used the bigshot I hauled all the way back on the thing and let go. The weight disappeared into the stratosphere and it took forever to find the thing. I had a huge grin plastered on my face the whole time I was looking, though, cause I was in love!

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127478 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Big shot pole length.
While we are on the subject of Big Shots- what pole length is everybody using? I use a 10 foot pole- got rid of the 8 because I got tired of sitting on my butt. Anyone else use long poles?

I shoot a 10-12 oz. weight on 1.75 packed in a cube. I rarely get tangles using a cube. Height- 125-150. Monofiliment line and an 8 oz bag will go much higher- but you will have to pull a 4 mil line to see what you have.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127479 by moss
Replied by moss on topic How high can you hit?

Originally posted by Treeman
While we are on the subject of Big Shots- what pole length is everybody using? I use a 10 foot pole- got rid of the 8 because I got tired of sitting on my butt. Anyone else use long poles?

Good one Treeman. I haven't used a Bigshot yet but thought that it looked uncomfortable and difficult to aim while crunched down low to the ground. Did you make a custom length segmented pole?

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127481 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Big Shot poles
I still have the original 8 ft Poles from the manufacturer. I see the point that Treeman makes on sitting down to be able to release and aim the Bigshot. Using a trigger release you could potentially use it like a shot gun and hold it against your shoulder instead. Treetramp has a good set up like that and uses it with great accuracy. Lets see if he chimes in w/ a report.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127482 by moss
Replied by moss on topic How high can you hit?
To digress further but maybe stay in the Bigshot topic. Does anybody know the spec on the elastic tubing used for the Bigshot? I'm messing around with a homemade design.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127476 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Old Big Shot Posts
Hello Moss, I was looking at the old postings and there was a long discussion we had about the Big Shot, parts, usage, triggers and component replacement parts. There is somewhere in there something that Treetramp posted about a company that sells the tubing for making the shot/slings and similar type of materials. Do a search for "Big Shoot " and see if you can locate the info there. Sorry, I did not take the time to get the actual post link but I am sure is there.
Good luck / with Big Shoting.

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127483 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Home Made Big Shot
I have made a least a dozen home made big shots and the ones the work the best use the replacement rubbers/pouch that I buy from Sherrills. To buy the tubing from a dive shop supplier for spear guns costs too much and you still have to sew your own pouch.

My heads are metal rods brazed into a steel 3/4" pipe coupling and then the rods are heated to red hot and bent to shape. The head is then slipped onto a length of 3/4" electrical conduit called EMT. Drill a hole and secure with a metal screw.

My trigger is a quick-release snap tied to the EMT with an accessory cord using a double fishermans knot the then slides down the EMT on a prusik.

Place an 8 ounce throwbag in the pouch with the quick snap on the web (cut the rubber gripper off the pouch handle). Slide the prusik down the EMT; ready; Aim- FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With 1.7mm Fling-it you can be a dead-eye shot with just a little practice.

I put a table leg end cap on the EMT's end and you are ready to go. I carry one in my pickup truck that I have cut to just the right lenght to fit along the side of the bed so it is always ready to go.

We string Christmas lights in a zig-zag fashion thru the trees and others around here are doing the same. They see my lightweigth sling shot on a pole and have to have one for their own. $100 and we are both happy. For long shots over 300 feet in distance we shoot electrical wire pulling string that comes in a 6500 foot bucket for about $40 and it pays out super fast.

See you at the top,
Dan

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127494 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic TreeTramp- THE source of innovation!
What is this wire pulling string stuff?

Moss- I bought two 5 foot poles.

TreeTramp: Have Sling- Will Climb.
Palidin, roving the country with trigger set for slingin'. A novel in the making or novel walking? Hmmmm.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127497 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic How high can you hit?

This is the poly string made by Greenlee that is threaded thru conduit to pull the wire thru.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611743893

It is very lightweight and will shred if rubbed too much.

Very cheap and disposable.

Dan

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 11 months ago - 17 years 11 months ago #127540 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic My Highest Throw
My highest hand throw was 65'. Being near-sighted, I've discovered that I don't like to throw above that height, because inspection of the limb becomes more difficult. Living in the midwest, there are many opportunities in that range.

Tree entry is challenging. Things often don't go smoothly. Therefore I must brag that my highest tree entry was a single throw that was perfectly isolated on a solid branch.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds