Advancing The TIP

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126615 by jimk123
Advancing The TIP was created by jimk123
When it comes to advancing the TIP in the canopy, I've noticed that I'm horribly inaccurate. Being on rope and off ground distorts my sense of dimension. I can't predict where my throw is going. It's a gross trial and error. I've always wondered if this was a common problem. I don't have good depth perception to start. I'm ok throwing a line from the ground. However every throw in the canopy is like learning from scratch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126616 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Advancing The TIP
There are a certain few techniques that Peter taught us in the basic climbing class I attended recently which really help to aid improve accuracy while in the tree and somewhat overcome the awkwardness of throwing at height.
Maybe he could chime in to briefly recall these for you and others interested.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126619 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Advancing The TIP
I have this problem too, mostly with the initial throw. I use a short throwline (about 40 feet) because it's easier to handle, and because there's no point in having anything longer given how accurate I am not. Climbing in pines means I'm almost always throwing almost straight up, so I get a lot of throwbags coming right back at me (helmets are nice when that happens). Once the line is over a good branch, everything smooths out, and I've even been able to use some of the cute tricks like flicking from one branch to another. But that throw is just awkward.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126620 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Throw Weights Questions
Guys if you do a search for this question (above) you can read a lot of the postings we have done in the last couple of years. They cover all types of ideas from "Visualization" Plain old practice to "Zen Activities" w/ the tree. Good reading to all those having the time to go over all the info. When in doubt use the Big Shot!

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126621 by moss
Replied by moss on topic In-tree throwing...
Have no fear Jim, depth perception is not required for good in-tree throwing :-)

The most successful technique IMHO for short, medium and even long throws in-tree is to do a reverse one-handed "pendulum" throw (learned from Treeman). This is essentially a blind throw so you don't need depth peception. You need some clearance behind you as you'll be swinging and throwing from front to back. The most important factor for accuracy is to swing the throwbag several times before throwing to make sure the arc of the swing is in line with and aims in the direction of the target crotch. That's it, let it rip! If it falls short apply more force on the next try. I think you'll find that once you get a consistent swing on the same vertical plane with the target that your accuracy will improve considerably.

Don't bother trying to look up at the target after you start swinging the bag, it will screw up the direction of your swing. Do not look at the target as you throw for the same reason, look straight ahead and focus on a smooth consistent swing.
-moss

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126623 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Look at the target.
I actually DO look at my target branch when I throw. If I miss I will have an idea whether I flung it too hard or not hard enough. I can usually advance my rope up to 30 feet at a time if I have a good throwing position this way. Rarely do I get it on the first throw, but once in a while I do which is cause for much excitement on my part. I get an immediate "feel good" rush of something inside me. I usually yell something out loud.

I also let the line lightly run through my hand after release so I can tighten the grip just as it passes over the branch I am aiming for. This will make the bag drop right down onto the branch without over shooting into other branches. This takes a little practice. Once in a while I bop myself in the head, but that is very rare. It helps to be looking at your throw so if it does indeed want to come back at you, you can do one of those "kung fu" moves and inch over just enough to let it slip by with a fraction of an inch to spare. That too is fun, moving just enough, almost as fun as nailing your torget branch.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126658 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Advancing The TIP
I should be more specific when I say "don't look up while you're throwing". What works for me is to look up immediately after I release the bag but not at the moment of throwing. Just my way. I think what happened with my throwing is that if I looked up before or during the throw that I lost focus on the swinging action and was less accurate.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds