Effectiveness of straddle throw

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126429 by moss
Effectiveness of straddle throw was created by moss
I made my first climb in a conifer today. It's tough to find a decent conifer for climbing in my area. This one is a good sized fir. The challenge was I needed to make a 60 ft. throw to get the branch I wanted. I threw for 1/2 an hour with my usual one hand throw and was off target and too short. I don't know why I've been staying away from the straddle throw. Stubborn ignorance I guess. I tried a two-handed straddle throw and put it easily over the target branch on the first throw. There is no going back!

While I was in the tree I listened to a Great Horned Owl calling from a white Pine nearby. Juncos (small gray winter birds) and Red-breasted Nuthatches were settling into the boughs of the fir for the night at 60 ft. I never knew they roosted so high up.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126432 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Effectiveness of straddle throw
Moss,

Interesting comments about the straddle throw. I went through the same thing. My highest TIPs were straddle. However I threw single arm for a longtime because it felt stronger. Abe's one armed technique can beat a straddle. He establishes a long pendulum and builds speed before release. I might be working on Abe's technique in 2006.

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126437 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Effectiveness of straddle throw
Well, I went out yesterday and threw for an hour into a white pine using the straddle throw and couldn't get a good branch :-) It's a tough one 'cause it's a wild tree with many dead lower branches that I couldn't get past. Good practice but disappointed that I couldn't get into the tree. Next time!
-moss

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126438 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Wrapped throw weights
Hey Moss,
It looks like we were on the same tree! I managed to wrap a couple of my throw weights on branches doing throw practice and finally have to pull the Big Shop and set an SRT line and go rescue my stuck gear. This was my Sunday afternoon Climb so it worked out right. Better luck next time!

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126443 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Effectiveness of straddle throw
Moss,

I never got my head around the straddle throw until Dick Flowers directly showed me when I was over in Michigan. One of those things I couldn't seem to absorb from a book (didn't "get" single footlocking either until he showed me). On my first try I got more height than I've ever gotten with a single arm toss.

That said, I'm a long way from getting it to work reliably; I like somebody's observation from another thread (was it Treeman?) that practice makes you luckier. I still have more practice (and considerably more luck) with the single arm toss.

I climb a lot of pines out here (the red and white pines are the main canopy emergents, so you get a nice view on top) and, yes, the lower limbs on whites are a real pain. At least the white pines have limbs lower down; the red pines, being shade intolerant, self-prune pretty high up by the time they're big enough to be interesting to climb.

I'll be interested to read your climb reports as winter goes on.

Cheers,
MarkF

• moss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126459 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Terminology correction
What I'm calling the straddle throw is more commonly referred to as the cradle throw.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds