Running bowline?

• mateo12
  • mateo12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126407 by mateo12
Running bowline? was created by mateo12
Hey guys. I am trying to figure out how to make a system with as little friction as possible for a running knot (i.e. Fig8, bowline, etc.). I'll be using this for SRT repels that are most likely 150+ft. I'm trying to figure out how to do it without buying a spool. Is there a false crotch setup that allows you to do this and still be able to retrieve the line? I've tried a running bowline over a normal branch with blackline tied to the loop and when I got to the ground, it wouldn't budge. So someone had to climb back up and get it down, not fun. Any thoughts? Thanks!

mateo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126410 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Running bowline?
3 ideas.
1) Tie your running Bowline around the climbing line like you did before. Then, put a biner in that loop as well. Tie your blackline to the biner. Then when you pull on your blackline, you're pulling on the biner.

2) Tie your running Bowline around the climbing line like you did before. Then tie a midline knot (butterfly, etc) next to the Bowline. Then attach a biner to the midline knot as in 1) above. This might improve the line of pull for the blackline. But, it might make it worse.

3) If you feel comfortable changing your system, use a delta (or pear) link instead of the running Bowline, then tying the blackline to the link. The metal should slide better on the rope where the rope is choked off against the branch. But, it involves changing your climbing system.
:( For new climbers: don't use a locking biner for this connection - you might end up hanging on the gate of the biner!

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126412 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Running bowline?
I have had a similar frustrating experience before Mateo. It's not always practical, but I've found that "unlocking" the cinched up running bowline is possible if it is choked around a vertical stem, intsead of in a crotch or around a horizontal branch. Once you've got it "unlocked" then it's just as easy as pulling a rope up into the tree with your throwline. I have also found that a steel connection helps to make this easier.

You have probably seen it already but Tom Dunlap started an interesting thead on this over at the Buzz.

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126416 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Tying behind the choke.
I use a Delta stainless steel on a figure 8 on a bight end tie. I like the extra strength of stainless steel to keep me less spooked when half way up a high pitch. It shines and unscrews better too.

Here is the trick that works for me as taught by Tim Kovar. Tie the pull out line ABOVE your choke off (running bowline, delta, etc). Just a little above the choke off knot will do. When you pull down, it creates a tiny amount of slack on the sliding knot (or delta) rather than pinching it. It easily slides down the rope as you pull.

I would not suggest using a carabiner, as Patrick mentioned. The last thing you want to worry about is your anchor point when you are up a distance.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #126417 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Running bowline?
Here's another solution:

http://tinyurl.com/dj99j

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds