Setting up a Tyrolean anchor?

• mateo12
  • mateo12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126348 by mateo12
Setting up a Tyrolean anchor? was created by mateo12
Does anyone have a recommendation for this type of setup? Is there a bad way to do it, or a "proper" way? Just curious, I'd like to see what you guys are rigging up. I've done running bowlines, but that's about it. I was thinking about doing some webbing with a basket hitch, I wasn't sure if one 'biner would take the weight though. Anyways, let me know how you guys do it!

mateo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126349 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Setting up a Tyrolean anchor?
I've never set up a Tyrolean before, but perhats this might help. From On Rope.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126350 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic Tyrolean Anchor
Here is one used for rock.
http://climbing.com/news/fixedblack04/
when you do be careful of the stress on the anchor. It can mulitply FAST!!!!
another
http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/Traverse.htm

and one more
http://www.chetwynd.info/other/tyrolean.htm

also consider more than one rope. it will help equalize the stress on the rope and anchors.

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126357 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic ADVICE
Me and Saplin' set up a tyrolean for a team of adventure racers that needed the practice for a race. Here are my recomendations.

1. Fritionless anchor on one end. We used 4 wraps (though Leon's pic shows no more than 2! Mine didn't) and connected back to the working end with a figgure-8 follow through, with several backups.
2. Adjustable anchor on the other end. This is something that I wish we'd done. Sag the line until it touches the ground if loaded. From there tie a set of friction hitches, I'd use a three wrap prussic, one a little longer than the other to divide the the load between two cords (the load is dynamic, thus much larger). The reason I have for this is that an individual becomes incapacitated on line it can be very dangerous to effect a rescue, forcing double loading the line. With this setup, in the event of an accident, the tensioned line could be (by use of a descent control device, I'd reccomend a 5 or 6 bar rack) lowered by releasing the hold of the friction hitches at the adjustable anchor end.
3. Adjust the tension (by pulling line through the prussics in #2) on the line so that it has a decent amoung of sag in the system. On Rope has suggestions for the sag, if I remember correctly, I think 11-20% (PLEASE CHECK ME ON THIS)
4. Provide the person traversing with a set of prussics or ascenders (rigged to prevent lateral loading, VERY IMPORTANT!) From start to center is a quick easy trip. From center to landing is a whole different ballpark.
5. Utilize a spidered tag line system. This seems like overkill until the person on line cant make the traverse. I would setup a system to retrieve from both ends of the rigged line.

I like redunduant systems anytime you do something like this. Better safe than sorry.

Hope that helps, oh! Watch out for bad weather too!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds