• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126068 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic RTC is About the Experience, Not Speed
Lichen

But this is recreational tree climbing.

Lichen,

I like the message of your posting. In the very beginning, I had hoped to do body thrusting as part of my RTC routine. I wanted the calorie burn.

By design, I'm a knots on rope DdRT climber. Eventually I'll expand gear and techniques. Right now, I'm getting the experience that I always wanted.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126077 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Dragonfly rope?
Another cool rope? What is the mm. sizing? Anyone know about this?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• mateo12
  • mateo12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126086 by mateo12
Replied by mateo12 on topic SRT or DRT

Originally posted by JimK
Lichen

But this is recreational tree climbing.

Lichen,

I like the message of your posting. In the very beginning, I had hoped to do body thrusting as part of my RTC routine. I wanted the calorie burn.

I see this completely, I suppose to ad a wrinkle here; I'll most likely be doing some canopy research as well. Where efficient canopy access is critical for field season logistics. I'd love to do field work all year, but there's that whole teaching part to getting a TA ride to grad school :) (and I can't teach intro biology from the treetops, however amazing that would be) So, can you still be quick with DdRT and take your time when needed?

mateo

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #126090 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic SRT or DRT
In my experience, SRT is more efficient for straight ascents, while DdRT is better for moving around in the canopy. However, there is no reason why you can't use both techniques on the same climb, and with the same rope. Use SRT to ascend to your tie in point (or wherever you're trying to get to), and then lanyard in and switch over to your DdRT system. Either system works well for descending.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126694 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic More DRT vs SRT Talk
I was reading today the Treebuzz board and saw a discussion very similar to the one we had a while back here. Check it out

Quote:
SRT is clear enough
You climb a single leg of one rope.

Quote:

DRT is clear enough, I suppose

Reply:
You climb/use two different ropes each of which has its own anchor point.

Quote:

If I toss my rope over a limb, fasten one end of (terminate) it to myself and footlock the tail, that mechanism/process is to be indicated by which acronym?

DdRT, because the rope is doubled over a tie-in point and you are using both legs of the rope. More precisely a dynamic DdRT because the two legs of rope are moving.

Quote:

If I toss my rope over a limb and footlock both ends as one, in the exact same way as for an SRT, that process/mechanism is to be indicated by which acronym?

Reply:
Again, DdRT because the rope is doubled over a tie-in point and you are using both legs of the rope. More precisely a static DdRT because the two legs of rope are (relatively) stationary as you climb, i.e. they don't move up or down as in your previous example.

The difference is DRT = double rope technique, two ropes; and DdRT = doubled rope technique, one rope doubled over a tie-in point and the climber uses both legs of the rope for climbing.

Final Commnent:
Just to clarify one more system.....climbing 1 leg of a line 'doubled' over a TIP/anchor, with the other leg tied off....SRT or DdRT?

Happy New Climbing Year!

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126695 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic SRT or DRT
SRT.

Happy New Year, all!!

Peace.

Jim

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126696 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic SRT or DRT
SRT of course, but with twice the load on the anchor limb.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!, already.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

More
18 years 3 months ago - 18 years 3 months ago #126786 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic SRT or DRT
I always use DRT no matter what the size of the tree 20-100 ft tall. Depending on the size of the tree I used defferent devices to enter the tree. For small trees I use a handled ascender, which works quite well. But for tall trees I use a prusik knot with a micro-accender to automatically advance my rope in combination with a foot ascender. You just walk up the line.:D

See you at the top.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds