New Releasable Throw Weight

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125806 by jimk123
New Releasable Throw Weight was created by jimk123
This posting is a about a recent enhancement to the throw weight. Though there's more to the story. After dedicating this summer of climbing to better tree entry, my pitiful mistakes sparked some creativity. I developed two new tree entry devices and a new technique - all strictly related to the hand throw entry. I've abandonned the conventional throw weight and hand throw process as outlined by Jepson. Not to sound critical of his writing, Jepson serves as a good reference, because he best illustrates the conventional hand throw method. I grew tired of the frequently stuck lines and lost equiment. Hand throw equipment is an investment. The focus of this new system was about making the throw line more retrievable. Only the new releasable weight is being discussed in this posting, because the entire procedure is a different concept and frankly too much to read.

The new releasable throw weight allows the climber to release it manually or in the canopy when trapped. It works on a cinch hold established by a tab that connects a ring to the weight. The line is held by loops made on the top and bottom area of the ring. The bottom loop runs under the tab. When the line is loaded, the top of the ring is pulled. This pulls the bottom loop into the tab much like a brake pad. Tension in the line locks the weight on the line.

The release of the weight consists of pushing against the top of the ring. This unloads the brake friction in the bottom of the ring. The line slides through. The weight falls to the ground. The climber experiences an emotional release of tension too. Having a stuck weight release to the ground makes me extremely happy.

The weight is released by three actions. The first and primary release is manual. The climber presses his hand on the top part of the ring and the weight comes off in a sweeping motion. Secondly when trapped in a fork, the pressing limbs have the same releasing affect on the top of the ring. The third release action occurs when the weight is dangling mid-air. The climber jolts the line with a sharp pull. This sends the weight floating in the air before shock loading back down. The absense of tension followed a shock load acts like a rachet slipping the weight ~1/4 inch down the line. Some 20 line jolts later, the weight falls to the ground and the line flows free.

I've been climbing on average 5 times a week this summer. I've never lost a releasable weight. However, there's more to the story.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125820 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Throwbag w/ Release
Hello JimK.
I was wondering after looking at your picture if cutting a small hole in the top of the regular throw-weights will allow to tie it the way you show in your picture and that way you will accomplish the same idea. I am not sure if you already tried this idea before but just in case I will try it one tonight. Your idea sounds like a very nice suggestion because I know many climbers have rapped their throw weights in the top of a few trees and have gone thru the frustrations of getting alternative ways to recover their stuff hopefully from an assessable branch. Take care.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125822 by knothead
Replied by knothead on topic New Releasable Throw Weight
Jim,

Could you give us a little more detail on how the flap is made? This is very interesting. Thanks.

Regards,
-Knothead

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125826 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic More Detail on the Releasable Weight
Oldtimer,

I've had the same question as you about converting the existing conventional weight into a releasable weight. It looks like a challenge, but let us know how it goes. I've envisioned that an entirely new tab and ring will need to be attached. This is all about saving the climber money, so I hope your conversion works.

I'm glad that you brought up the issue about the weight wrapping around limbs. It's the second device that completely (as in 100%) eliminates limb wraps on the throw. The releasable weight serves to release when trapped behind tight forks on the pull back. Moreover, it's the second device that typically brings the weight to the ground, reducing the need for pull backs.

Knothead,

After spending upwards of 100 hours developing this releasable weight, I can assure you that it's nothing more than the picture. It's a bit of a Monty Python moment to work so long to discover that two loops on a ring is what's needed. Having tried different materials for the tab, the coefficient of friction seems to be the only significant factor. The pictured tab is clothing quality leather collected from a scrap bin. Other leathers work. A nylon tab works.

The three variables not mentioned that control release: 1) the gap between the bottom ring and the stitching. 2) the choice of loop. 3) the length of tail hanging beyond the weight.

The closer the stitching is to the bottom ring, the more friction there is. Because the weight in picture has a large gap, a Mutner style loop is used. If the stitching is moved closer to the ring, only a simple loop is needed. Forming a double loop on the top or bottom is possible for the purpose of adding friction. Lastly, small slippage occurs on every throw. If the climber is concerned about conditions, then a short tail is used to provide a hair trigger release.

The tab starts out approximately equal to the inner diameter of the ring. A wedge with one end at 1/8" is cut down the center. A hole is punched at the end of the cut to reduce the pucker of the material.

Thanks for the questions. It provides clarification. Keep me posted on results.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125829 by knothead
Replied by knothead on topic New Releasable Throw Weight
Thanks for the clarification. I see, I think. I was trying to figure out how you got from the left picture to the right picture. I assumed that the flap was not stitched on the back side so that it would release from the ring. I see now that the flap is stitched on both ends, capturing the ring, but with a slot to insert the line through. The right picture is just an "inside detail", not a next step. Correct?

Regards,
-Knothead

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125833 by jimk123
Knothead,

Your description is on target. I now realize that I need a side view or 45 degree perspective. I may also need a pic that illustrates the release process.

I'll confirm your comments. The tab is folded over the ring bottom and sewn through both sides. As you described, the line is easily threaded through the center slit and brought out to the side. Then it's loop on the bottom ring. Pulling the loop tight draws the loop underneath the tab and sets the tension with the top loop.

Since this is a new concept, I've broken the entire throw system down into discrete parts for description. Previous forum presentations where this new throw system was described in full detail were more confusing than this posting.

Last night, I thought that I had endured my first stuck releasable weight. I pulled harder and it released. It was a close call. When I melt the ends of the line, a bead is formed. It sometimes hangs in the ring. I need to smoothen that out.

Do you plan on making one? I have a cheap improvisation of this design that I'll try to make this weekend.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125835 by jimk123
The attached photo shows a releasable throw weight made from an unpaired (clean) sock.

This confirms the notion that most devices have an inexpensive improvisation.

Also, the climber deserves protection on their equipment investments. These hand throw devices need to be retrievable.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun In Trees

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125834 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Illustration of Release Action
The attached photo illustrates how the climber releases the weight from the line in a sweeping motion. When hopelessly trapped in a fork, the same release mechanism occurs. Otherwise this weight can be thrown multiple times and pulled through crotches as shown in the photo.

Why would the climber want to release the weight from the line? Well, there's definitely more to the story.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126009 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Releasable Weight Revisited
As climbers work with their own adaptations to the releasable weight, a question pops up: how do you test a releasable weight to know that it works in the field?

A releasable weight has these distinct properties:
1) when the weight is grabbed, it can't be pulled off the line.
2) it holds on the line when whirled in a circular motion
3) the releasing pressure is easy to medium, not hard
4) it can be thrown a minimum of 5 times over a 25 foot branch and shocked loaded with less than 4 inches of slide on the line

One climber noted that 1.75 mm Zing-it bit down on the ring, creating a hard release. It failed test #3. The munter hitch will be replaced with a simple loop.

Any semi-flexible band that runs through a ring seems to create the releasable weight mechanism. A grommet beneath the bottom of the ring keeps the line centered. The top munter hitch helps to center the line also. Though a simple loop can replace the Munter.

There are many adaptations. However the successful prototypes have the properties listed above. I've produced over a dozen prototypes and I've thrown the releasable weight all summer long. I like how the ring slides off the line when trapped in a fork. I use the release most frequently to remove the weight quickly off line for a pull back. If I ever use a conventional weight again, it will be only as an historical reenactment.

Why Use a Releasable Weight?
1) It protects the climbers investment in equipment by making the weight retrievable
2) It conforms to the Leave No Trace standard.

Tree entry is the front door to RTC. The hassles need to be resolved to make this activity more welcoming to the newbie. The release of a stuck weight puts a smile on any climber's face. I like how the routine tieing of the Munter on the weight reinforces the skill of making this valuable descending knot. That's good muscle memory for the newbie.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126017 by rocknroll
Replied by rocknroll on topic in the current throw bags
Just wondering if you thought in the current bags we have with the rings already sewn in place if we could just hot cut the hole in the nylon loop already on the bag?

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

More
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126018 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic New Releasable Throw Weight
Jim, I'm not sure if I'm following this right, but if so, this is a SWEET idea!!!

In your list of requirements, does it not also have to release when jammed.

I'm assuming this means that if I make a toss, then try the pull the weight back up, over, and down to me, and it get's jammed in the process, I can just pull firmly on the throwline, and the munter will release and the end of the throwline will come back down to me, and the throw weight, if I'm lucky, will fall back to the ground.

Am I reading this right?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 5 months ago - 18 years 5 months ago #126019 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic New Releasable Throw Weight
RocknRoll,

If your current bag has enough room, cutting a hole under the ring will make it releasable. The more room for threading your line, the better. I keep mine loose for ease of threading the throw line through.

Nick,

Once jammed the ring and weight slide off the line by pulling. If you look at the photo above, a tight fork of a tree will press the ring where my fingers are located. Pressing fingers or pressing limbs have exactly the same affect, so you're correct that "release when jammed" needs to be included as part of the properties. If the fork is open, then everything pulls through and the weight stays connected. Your description is on the mark that the weight falls to the ground and the line flows through the tree freely. The reliability of the weight falling to the ground when released is about 98%.

This ring functions on the same mechanism as the fireman's belay. Imagine the top Munter hitch on the ring as a climber in rappel. The bottom loop is the ground person pulling down on the line. As you know, when someone pulls down on a rope with a munter or figure-8 descender, the rappel halts. This is precisely the same mechanism behind the releasable weight.

You have to play with it, to begin to see it.

Regards,
JimK

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds