Short rope climbing

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125239 by treeman
Short rope climbing was created by treeman
Anyone doing short rope climbing. The rope is cut the length of the first pitch in the tree. If the starting branch is 30 feet up, the rope is 60 feet. The tree could be an eighty footer, but you climb with a much shorter rope- enough to get down from the starting branch. It makes for a small coil of rope during the approach.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125254 by docteric
Replied by docteric on topic short rope
I guess I always climb with what you would consider to be a short rope.

When I started the only line I had was a 30' static climbing line. Did it all SRT. I couldn't get into any trees with the first branches higher than 25', but I got up some pretty good ones (since I'm new to this game a "good one" for me is any tree I can get into).

I now have a 55' arborist rope (I forget the brand right now) so I can SRT up to the first branch as long as it's under 50', and I haven't found that the short line has been any trouble once I get up in the tree itself.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125334 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Short rope climbing
What do you think about the short rope problem of not being able to get out of the tree quickly when you climb higher than the length of rope? I guess you build it in to your climbing plan, ie: don't expect a quick escape option.
-moss

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126894 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic old thread
I know this is old but thought I would ask another question. Wouldn't this "issue" be the same problem that would occur when doing a multiple ptich climb into a taller tree?

trying to learn more in depth.. :)

slingshot

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126899 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Short rope climbing
It's not really a problem but you are correct. If you were climbing a 65 ft. tree with a 60 ft. rope you'd have to re-pitch a few times to get to the top. If you were climbing a 280 ft. conifer with a 150 ft. rope you'd have to re-pitch a few times.

The number of pitches varies regardless of rope length or tree height depending on the structure of the tree and the skill of the climber in advancing the pitch from within the tree. With a shorter rope in relation to tree size the climber must set more pitches descending out of the tree.
-moss

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126905 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Short rope climbing
I use to use a 120' safety blue all the time and would have to retie many of times. Finally I realized that for safety purposes this wasn't a good idea. Also I always want my rope to be touching the ground just incase I drop something or need equipment sent up to me that I had forgot. So now I have a 60' rock climbing rope , 120' poison ivy and 200' poison ivy.

Also longer ropes come in handy for double crotching in order to explore the entire tree.

See you at the top.

More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126911 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Short rope climbing
Make sure you have a good stopper knot also at the end of the rope, if you're gonna be practicing a lot of short rope and the end is not touching the ground. Also like Moss said above, for a quick escape, I also like to keep my rope end touching the ground when possible. So I concur with Moss on quick escape and with Climberoso on simply getting a longer rope if possible.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

• slingshot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126913 by slingshot
Replied by slingshot on topic Short rope climbing
that makes sense to me...
thanks for the input gentlemen..

slingshot

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126980 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Popular in Japan.
Short rope climbing is popular in Japan. They climb on purpose with a short rope to increase rope setting skills. You of course have to have enough rope to start your pitch. But imagine- 6 or more down pitches on a tree? Think of that lighter pack too. Bitter end knot- good idea!

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds