I-beams and light weight trusses

• rocknroll
  • rocknroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125139 by rocknroll
I-beams and light weight trusses was created by rocknroll
Okay, I have been thinking (drooling really) about the inside of some buildings with I-beams and light weught trusses.

First the I-beams; would a conduit rope saver protect the rope from the edges of these? I know the rounder the anchor the better ands less stress on the rope but those I-beams look like a great target except for that tiny space between the I-beam and the roof material. Is there any stronger material to make a rope saver out of?

Light weight treusses; these look like a better target opening (at least for me) again, what about the sharpness of the corners of these? I have put a saver on one and tried it low and slow. It worked okay but the sharp bend trashed the conduit. Any ideas on these?

Would a false crotch be better for these and climbing?
Thanks

Psithurism - the sound of the wind rustling the leaves.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125141 by moss
Replied by moss on topic I-beams and light weight trusses

Originally posted by Rocknroll

Light weight treusses; these look like a better target opening (at least for me) again, what about the sharpness of the corners of these?
Would a false crotch be better for these and climbing?
Thanks

I'm thinking that a false crotch made of heavy webbing nested inside a leather sleeve might work. When you test it low you'd be able to easily see how much damage is being done to the leather before it gets to the webbing.

Also I don't know how easy or expensive it is to get hold of kevlar fabric, that would be nice to wrap/sew around the false crotch webbing.

It's tricky because there may be variation in how the edges on the I-beams and trusses are finshed from one building to another or even within the same building, (more or less sharp edges) Are the trusses made from round steel rod or flat stock?

I've done a fair amount of welding on mild steel (used in most construction) but I've been away from it for 18 years so I don't know what the trusses look like these days. If you can photograph the structure you intend to climb on that might help people come up with informed advice.
-moss

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125142 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Hanging on the "I's"
Rope sleeves should not be used on small diameter supports. They will damage the metal conduit.

Use a two-ring false crotch on those small settings because the webbing will not be damaged at all.

See you at the top,
Dan

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125143 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic I-beams and light weight trusses
For added support, sew on some leather, canvas, webbing or something around the webbing. This way if you notice damage after the first climb, it will be on the leather, and you can cut it off and you'll have ruined leather, instead of a ruined friction saver!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125144 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Friction Saver
While working as a window washer I often worked from such structural items. I would also reccomend (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) using a two ring type false crotch. I'd avoid the top chord of a truss, you cant see what the top looks like, and there is all kinds of stuff up there that could thrash your equipment. I've had weld splatter shred a few feet of one of my ropes.

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125145 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic I-beams and light weight trusses

Originally posted by Icabod
... I would also reccomend (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) ...

I used to struggle with that word a lot, too. Then I realized that when you recommend something, it is sorta like you are commending it AGAIN. You are in a sense, re-commending it.

Or just say 1-c, 2m's

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #125146 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic 1-c 2-m's
I'll get that in my head...next thing you know I'll be spelling my name
"Cammeron"

THANKS NICK. Look what you made me do!

Climb Safe!

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds