Blake's Hitch - How Many Wraps?

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124639 by jimk123
Blake's Hitch - How Many Wraps? was created by jimk123
I've been using the standard Blake's Hitch as shown by Jepson. I use the New England Fly rope. I've never had a problem. I've never had a slip, and I run my wraps loose.

I know that the recreational world is using additional wraps. Given the many variables associated with students in climbing classes, additional wraps to cover a range of conditions makes sense.

What caution do I need to take? How many wraps are you using on the Blake's Hitch?

Regards,
JimK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124641 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Blake's Hitch - How Many Wraps?
I just used the blakes the other day with new climbers and we did four wraps with the tucked tail going under the bottom two wraps. I did it first with 5, tucking under 3, but the thing locked up like crazeeee! It mighta been the Buccanneer rope I was using. It's kinda soft stuff.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124649 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Buckaneer rope.
Who makes that rope. Not familiar with it. I still use 5 wrap 3 tuck Blakes hitch. I like my knot to be slower. My climber used to use a Blakes 4 by 2 but has taken up the 5 by 3 version. He likes the slow knot too.
Never had the 53 seize on me.

I use the Fly and Yale candy stripe. Can you guess my favorite color?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124652 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Blake's Hitch - How Many Wraps?
Buccanneer is made by....Buccanneer! It is a manufacturer in Alabama. The owner, Dan Pockman, is a nice guy. I've chatted with him a few times.

http://www.bucrope.com/

The rope is not high quality. I consider Yale, NER, and Samson (in that order) to be the premier rope manufacturers in the US. Buccanneer isn't quite up there right now.

I climbed on the Nitro line (a purple/yellow half inch 16 strand similar to XTC or Braided safety blue) for almost a year a while ago. It was alright. I'm a nit picker though and was very very happy when I switched to XTC (and now, Blaze)

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds