Slings

• prosigna
  • prosigna's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124167 by prosigna
Slings was created by prosigna
I am brand new to tree climbing. While collecting gear I have to make what I have work. I do not yet have a friction saver to place in the tree. Would a spliced loop made from 10' of 1/2'' ArborPlex make an acceptable sling?

Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124168 by Bradley Ford
Replied by Bradley Ford on topic Slings
I have not seen a sling used as a friction saver. False crotch versus rope saver shows examples of what I've seen used to protect the tree and the rope. How will you place your sling in the tree?

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124170 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Slings
Do you know how to splice Arborplex? All of the splicers that I know say that splicing AP is possible but too much work.

I've made false crotches by using a scaffold hitch tied to a large biner and then using a screw link for the small end. Adding a pulley to the screw link makes for a smooth setup.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• prosigna
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124171 by prosigna
Replied by prosigna on topic Slings
I spliced AP using the tuck method as described on NE ropes web site. It is alot of work. Takes about 2-hours for each splice. A loop requires 2 of these 2-hour splices. The only rigigng I am familier with is pro sound and lighting. We would place a loop sling (we called them span-sets) over a steel beam using burlap as protection. Then we connected a 2" shackel to bring the loop closed below the beam. All rigging was susspended from these type points. What I was going to do is drape the loop over a branch, connect a locking biner and run rope over biner. As far as false crotch vs. rope saver - this would be a false croth system.

Josh

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124183 by Bradley Ford
First, congratulations on tackling splicing! I may learn to splice someday, but for now I just tie knots.

Originally posted by prosigna
What I was going to do is drape the loop over a branch, connect a locking biner and run rope over biner.

If I were going to drape a loop over a branch and then secure it below with a carabiner, I'd have to be very close to the branch. On the other hand, I regularly install a false crotch or rope saver of the types I mentioned in my post above from 70 feet below the branch. How will you install your false crotch?

• prosigna
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124187 by prosigna
Replied by prosigna on topic Setting Spliced Loop.
Good Question. I'm not sure.

Being new to the game I tend to set a line and climb it repeatedly honing my skills. It would be impossible to set the system I described from the ground. Climbing to the top, tying off with a lanyard, setting the sling, then re-threading the rope, tying off again to the climb rope, disconnection lanyard, then descending. This rope would be used over and over again until it would be removed by a similar method.

Another thought would be to put the loop in tubular webbing and placing rings on both ends. It would then be placed in the manor described elseware on this board.
My question boils down to the strengeth of spliced loops. I can understand the caution involved in answering this question. Without seeing my splice or being a splice expert I don't think it can be answered. Let's asume the splice is perfect. Everything else I do is perfect. Just ask my wife.:D

Josh

• Bradley Ford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124193 by Bradley Ford

Originally posted by prosigna
My question boils down to the strengeth of spliced loops.

You could ask the rope manufacturer, or NickfromWI--his e-mail is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Or you could search the forums at ArboristSite or TreeBuzz .

• prosigna
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124195 by prosigna
I just sent a message to Samson. I will post their reply.

Josh

• prosigna
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124209 by prosigna
Replied by prosigna on topic Samson's reply
First I was told they could not help me because the instructions I used were from the New England Ropes web site. I must use their instructions. I let them know the same set of instructions was on their website under the title of Round Plait Rope Splice Instruction. So they said ArborPlex should be spliced per the 12-Strand Class 1 instructions not the Round Plait instructions since it is a 12-strand and not a round plait. I asked what the difference was since the Round Plait instruction were for a 12-stranded Round Plait Rope. Then we finaly got the final answer. ArborPlex cannot be spliced by the Class 1 12-Strand method. Samson does not even splice AP. If you were to splice AP you should use the Round Plait Class 1 instruction. Which I did.

I'm not sure where that leaves me. Would yall use a sliced loop as opposed to a sewn runner?

Josh

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124206 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Slings
Sewn runner would be the easiest thing here, since it only costs about 5.00 and is pre-made.

Let's talk splicing....just for the fun of it.

Arborplex is a pain to splice. There's no doubt about that. It is possible, though. You said you're doing a loop. I would prefer an eye-eye sling for this- a 3-5 foot length of rope with small eyes on each end where you'd clip the 'biners to. The loop is just too bulky.

I side with Samson on this one, though. I wouldn't splice that rope. Rope manufacturers understand that arborists want and need splices. Take the Fly, for example. This was a complicated rope. You couldn't apply standard splices to this rope, so they folks at NER put a lot of thought (I'm assuming it was a lot) into coming up with an appropriate splice. Samson, by not even offering splicing directions for this rope, is considering arborplex an un-splicable rope. Not that you can't....but you just shouldn't.

There are a bunch of ropes that are easier to splice that would be just as good or better. I guess it's all a matter of what you have on hand, though.

Welcome to TCI, prosignia. Nice to have another splicer around!

love
nick, the admirer of the Sequoia

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• prosigna
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124214 by prosigna
Samson said I should use the tuck instructions. The only reason they don't list it is anyone would be nuts to try. Also they do not do any AP splicing in house. Again not that they can't - just too much work.

I used this piece of rope as a footloop. I was curious about the splice and gave it a try. Before I finished I discovered the joys of using 8mm cord for this purpose. Then I finished the work and am in need to justify my blood, sweat, and tears.

Thankyou to everyone who helped me in my quest to justify my own insanity.

- Josh

Josh

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds