? Clove hitch for tie in

• rtrem12
  • rtrem12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123884 by rtrem12
? Clove hitch for tie in was created by rtrem12
Hope I don't start another war.

Has anyone (else) gone to using a clove hitch for tie in with DRT? I started using it this year and really like it. First, I have more slide for each stroke as my bridge starts at my screwlink rather than 3 or more inches above it. Second, I can easily adjust the bridge length depending on the size of the climber (for program climbs). Third, it is much faster to tie and untie. Fourth, I was worried it might slip, but once loaded, it has never slipped and is backed up by the blakes' hitch anyway.

It is an acceptable tie in knot according to Jepson. I tie my blake's, size my bridge, then tie the clove and stick a 'biner through it.

Bob
Tree Climbing for all!
www.arborquest.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123892 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic ? Clove hitch for tie in
If I tie directly to a biner with a traditional, non-split tail system, I prefer to use an anchor bend. The rope exits with a more fair lay. It is directed straight to the climbing hitch. Using a clove hitch has the rope exiting, then making a ninety degree bend to line up with the hitch. This seems to put a little twist into the tie-in.

Don't get me wrong, the clove works and is acceptable. Just my preference.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• rtrem12
  • rtrem12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123893 by rtrem12
Replied by rtrem12 on topic Anchor Bend ?
I just went and looked at the Anchor Bend. I see what you mean about how smoothly it lays.

It doesn't look as though this can be tied in the middle of a rope. That is, the free end of the rope must pass through the loop. Is this true? I like to tie the blake's first then use the clove to set the bridge length. Can this be done with this knot?

Bob

More
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123895 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic ? Clove hitch for tie in
When I use a trad system I've never thought of tying the friction hitch and then the clove/anchor. Novel idea...hmmmm

It seems a bit awkward at first blush. Why not just tie the anchor/clove and adjust the bridge length as you tie the friction hitch?

You do need the end to tie the anchor bend.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds