Self advancing friction hitch?

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125335 by moss
In this photo of Nick in a sycamore it looks like he's using an advanced friction hitch attached close to his saddle. Looks great for limbwalking since it's easy to reach the friction knot when you're leaning way out...
Scroll down to the second photo:
Nick limbwalking with advanced hitch

My question is, can you body-thrust with a rig like this? It looks like you'd have to grab above the friction knot, pull down then pull out the slack below the knot with the other hand. Seems a little awkward. How is it done? Or maybe it's not done :-)
Thanks,
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125339 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic What photo, Moss?
Please provide a link to the photo so we can all gab about it.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125341 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Self advancing friction hitch?

The photo is from this TCI thread:
http://www.tci-forums.com/viewthread.php?tid=427
Thanks,
-moss

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #123791 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Self advancing friction hitch?
2 options I can think of off the bat when it comes to body thrusting with advanced hitches-

1-(the one I do most) Body thrust, let a bit of slack accumulate below your hands, above the knot. At the appropriate time, pinch the rope with one hand while I reach down with the other hand and pull the slack through.

2-attach a sling, maybe 2' from saddle to advanced hitch. Climb, removing slack as I go. Remove sling when I no longer need it.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #123776 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Self advancing friction hitch?
Are you talking about a self advancing friction hitch- where the hand is not needed to advance the hitch?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125380 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Self Tending Loop
I now use a small prusik loop (made of 4mm cord) conected by a small carabiner to a micro-puley (or use a dog leach tie) to do the tending of the blake hitch. This saves a lot of energy and I only have to concentrate in pulling the rope down and advancing the leg loop/prusik ascender. When I reach the top I can just remove the small (non rated) carabiner and use the system as any other DRT set up. It is a little bit more gear intensive but it is so nice not to have to move the blake hitch up the rope that it makes it all well worth it. Jepson describes something similar on page 75 of his book.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125555 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic BODY THRUST
Moss,
You are right about the setup. Body thrust for the first 15' or so, you should be able to support your weight with the one hand, and with the VT or Distel removing the slack is as simple as giving the slack a snap in the down direction. After the initial 15' you can footlock the line and take the slack out pretty well.

Nick, is that a silvery slack tender I see there? Mine is working sweet!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
18 years 7 months ago - 18 years 7 months ago #125764 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Self advancing friction hitch?

Originally posted by Icabod

Nick, is that a silvery slack tender I see there? Mine is working sweet!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

It sure is. Going on 2 years of service and I LOVE it!!!! A little birdie (where's Dietly?) made me another batch and I've given a few out.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds