• Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132137 by Davej
Safety FAQ ? was created by Davej
Tibets wrote:

Re:Are these carabiner things safe?

Can anybody tell me if any of these carabiners from this company can be used for anything else besides storing my keys?

Shouldn't this TCI board have some sort of \"READ THIS FIRST\" FAQ that would dissuade this sort of crazy question?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132140 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Safety FAQ ?
Those biners on your photo ARE NOT SAFE for anything. They are Key chains!
We use them sometimes to hang stuff like a camera or a water bottle from our harness but that is about it. That question comes up about every cople of months when a new climber is looking for \"gear\". Is this piece of gear safe?
Never try those things for anything else.:angry:

Search in the old postings for \"Climbing Standards\" and there are lists of suggestions for gear rating and uses posted in previous discussions a couple of years back.

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132142 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Safety FAQ ?
oldtimer wrote:

Those biners ARE NOT SAFE for anything. They are Key chains! [...]That question comes up about every couple of months when a new climber is looking for \"gear\".:angry:

That's why I brought this quote here to the \"Website Ideas\" area. Maybe we need a big red \"READ ME FIRST\":woohoo: button which leads to a very basic safety discussion/FAQ for any crazy 12yo kids who might find this board. I mean heck, the photo at the top of the board shows three KIDS hanging in a tree.

Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Davej.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132145 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Safety FAQ ?
Davej wrote:

That's why I brought this quote here to the \"Website Ideas\" area. Maybe we need a big red \"READ ME FIRST\":woohoo: button which leads to a very basic safety discussion/FAQ for any crazy 12yo kids who might find this board. I mean heck, the photo at the top of the board shows three KIDS hanging in a tree.

Feel free to write it up, this is an all volunteer community :-)

I started this thread for the very same reason (in response to two serious falls suffered by self-taught climbers who where reading the message boards):
Basic Safety Protocol

Tree climbers tend to devolve into dispute about safety protocol details, it's the human thing to do. We've had some difficulty coming to closure on these kinds of topics. Anyway feel free to post to the safety protocol thread with your suggestion for a Basic Safety FAQ.

Bear in mind that the owners of the tree climbing forums/web sites don't like to get into \"instruction\" on their sites because of the liability exposure. Any instruction that goes on is contributed by individual forum members so you might not be able to convince any site owners to post a permanent Safety FAQ. Sounds crazy but that's the reality, the lawyers are waiting in the wings.

One other thing DaveJ, if you remove the TCI Banner graphic from your last post then all the text in this thread will stay within the white area of the page, thanks! ;)
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by moss.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds