milling logs on site

• dogwood
  • dogwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127703 by dogwood
milling logs on site was created by dogwood
This is a question for you professional tree workers.
As a professional carpenter and remodeler I have worked in just about every aspect of building, furnishing and repairing homes. It seems that most of the work we do involves engineered materials, and the sort of stuff you can buy at Home Depot. When I got into this business 38 years ago, it was my love of wood and woodworking that inspired me, and my intention is to get back into it again. My question is, do you run into situations where a log from a felled tree is so big to haul out that you have to cut it up into firewood? What I propose is that I could come in with a portable mill and saw that log into material which I could use and haul it off,perhaps saving the customer the cost of getting rid of it. Certainly some trees are worthy candidates and others might not be. An Alaskan chainsaw mill can handle slabs up to 50" wide. I'm interested to hear what you might have to say.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago - 17 years 10 months ago #127704 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic milling logs on site
Dogwood,

In my area it is common for woodworkers to make arrangements with tree companies and botanical gardens to get high quality wood that would otherwise go to waste. Sometimes tree companies are happy to have somebody take it away for free, and sometimes they might charge a little for it if it is really high quality stuff. I work at a university owned arboretum, and any good wood that we have gets offered first to educational and cultural groups before I start calling commercial woodworkers.

I would suggest calling some tree service companies in your area, as well as any botanical gardens or arboretums, and see if they are interested in getting rid of their logs.

Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds