Thanks an Arborist

• oldtimer
  • oldtimer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127056 by oldtimer
Thanks an Arborist was created by oldtimer
I just completed the removal of a LARGE Oak from the front of my house. It took me a long time to get it all done. (Six months or more). I have been cutting it down until yesterday I did the final 20 feet or so portion of the trunk. It was about 2 feet diameter at the base and very heavy wood. Now I see why professional climbers charge as much as they do. It is difficult, risky and heavy work with lots of chances to do some serious damage to something or someone. So now I only have two more dead oaks to remove and to keep me entertained for a few more months. I learned a lot of rigging and chain saw use safety techniques in the process and hopefully be a safer climber. I gained a lot of appreciation for reading this site and the treebuzz site and looking at the pictures of rigging set ups. Now is the time to rent a stump grinder!
Thanks Guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127057 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Thanks an Arborist
Good Post! I need to throw my 2 cents worth in here...
I am not an arborist. However, like many of us here, I have done my share of removals near fixed structures and such.

I agree, I appreciate real arborists too.
It’s not so much the labor as it is planning the cut & the drop. Houses, utility lines, fences, pools, gardens, etc...
It's like threading a needle with a 500 pound piece of lumber with gravity laughing at you all the way.
Once that puppy goes, there ain’t no turning back!
Ya only get one chance to rig it right.

Your post was “right on target”. I enjoyed reading it. And I’ll bet that not only did your back get a work-out but your self-confidence and ability to work out difficult problems and go with your own final decision got well exercised too. :)

Regards,
Electrojake

P.S. On your next removal job, Take pictures, lots of em’!
-Ej-

More
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #127058 by climber020
Replied by climber020 on topic Thanks an Arborist
Yeah a mistake isn't as easy to fix as write out or spell check. Mistakes in tree work cost lives or money, and a lot of times more money then you will even get for doing the job.

See you at the top.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds