Golfer Kills Hawk - ON PURPOSE!!!

• Baker
  • Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 1 month ago #131279 by Baker
Golfer Kills Hawk - ON PURPOSE!!! was created by Baker
I'd love to hear your comments on this. If it upsets you, as it does me, please pass it on to everyone you know.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-golfer-birdkilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago - 16 years 1 month ago #131298 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Golfer Kills Hawk - ON PURPOSE!!!
I was surprised as to how little information about the hawk: what species? was it near its nest? This would explain why the hawk was sticking around as the golfer continued to fire shots at it. We have a lot of bird/golfer conflict in the northeast especially at urban golf courses. The patches of woods in these golf courses and the wide open \"meadows\" attract raptors to nest and hunt prey. When golfers get close to the nest they often get buzzed by protective parents. There is clearly an education gap. I think the productive route is to set up some programs with golfing associations and organizations to give golfers information on some of the raptor behavior they're likely to encounter at a course, what it means and how they can responsibly share the space with them instead of taking an antagonistic and ignorant view.
-moss
Last edit: 16 years 1 month ago by moss.

• Baker
  • Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 1 month ago #131301 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Golfer Kills Hawk - ON PURPOSE!!!
This was a Red Shouldered Hawk, and your assumption is correct. There are nests in the area. There is a lot more info on the web now, as this is a current issue. The golfer even opted out of play this weekend due to all of the bad press.

A few years ago, there were two Red Shoulders SHOT AT THE SAME GOLF RESORT! They were buzzing golfers who were too near the nests. The golfers complained, and instead of waiting for rehabilitators (who were already called) to come and trap the birds, USDA wildlife agents shot and killed the pair. After a long interview process by Federal Fish and Wildlife agents, the UDSA folks got a hand slapping, and that was that.

You're right, Moss, education is the key, as long as people are willing to listen. For the most part, they are. I've probably said this a thousand times in my career - \"Animals were here first, and they will be here after we're gone - maybe. Wildlife doesn't live in our back yards, it's the other way around.\"

When the human species realizes that they (we) don't own everything, and the earth is not ours to do with, whatever we please, the planet will be a better place to live for all living things. (Including the humans!) I have faith in the human race - I'm positive that this WILL be realized ... at the very moment that it is too late.

I gonna go hug a tree!

More
16 years 1 month ago #131303 by igreen
Replied by igreen on topic Re:Golfer Kills Hawk - ON PURPOSE!!!
It made me very mad when I first read about it. I'm still pretty steamed. I really hope he pays dearly for it. I find his statements of \"regret\" insincere. He regrets that it has come back to bite him, and he probably feels more sorry for himself than that poor hawk. Jail might be good for him, and definitely and example to others, if he gets off with a fine and community service, it better be a lot of money and a lot of time (1000+ hours). I am glad the prosecutor is taking this so seriously.

As to Moss's questions, it was a Red-shouldered hawk. It was probably being so vocal, because December in Florida is when they start setting up territory in preparation for breeding. Red shoulders call frequently when claiming territory to let other hawks know that it is theirs. I like it because it makes them easy to find, and it is fun to watch them, especially patrolled as a pair. Over Christmas, I was at my parents house in Gainesville, FL, and there was a pair of red shoulders at a nearby state park that were setting up territory. I watched them harass a poor juvenile red-tail until he left the area. It is likely this hawk had a mate nearby with a possibly a nest.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds