Off Topic - Hunter Orange

• Electrojake
  • Electrojake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #128999 by Electrojake
Off Topic - Hunter Orange was created by Electrojake
Humor, Irony, Hijacked Threads, and other Treats. . .
(Off topic issues carried over form the Hunting Season thread)

It was not my specific intention to lampoon the situation, However, you must admit that it is ludicrous that what hunters do in the woods near my home is accepted & lawful and what “I” do in the same woods is at best, quasi-legal.

Other Points. . .
Several years ago when I was first started timidly hawking this message base as a new climber, I contacted Treeman and questioned him as to why the TCI forum was so dang serious. I asked him if the forum moderator ruled with an iron fist, yes/no? The message base seemed a little too sedate. No flames, no arguments, no joking around, not even a heated debate! What gives? After all, it is “recreational” climbing, no?

In my line of work I climb in situations that are extremely dangerous, and most of the guys are a gas! Entertaining is an understatement with my crew. Conversely, in the REC climbing arena (which thanks to organizations like TCI is indeed safe), the overall sport is handled in an extremely serious environment.
This is not a criticism, it’s an observation.

Let me state that I never met a REC climber that I didn’t learn from. Meeting new climbers from TCI (and locally) has always been a positive experience. And as for the forum moderator. . . Actually there is none. With a technically sober group such as this, it simply isn’t required. Impressive! I lay my flame thrower to rest. ;)

Other Items. . .
Sorry I hijacked the Hunting Season thread. I (we) should stay with the topic. Proper etiquette & rightly so, which is why I posted this in the Not About Trees section.

Thank you john e routon & TCI members for posting a bio in your profile section. It’s appreciated! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129005 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Moderator.
There was one instance where the moderator priveledge was used here and that was a few years ago. A negative topic started and it eventually got out of hand to where it started dividing the message board into factions. I waited and watched the numbers of postings increase to a truely high level with dark negative tones I had never seen here before. That is when I learned that there are times when there is a tipping point where conversations go too far and regaining balance is impossible.

Is there a moderater here? Yes indeed! Myself and Patty are the moderators. Has a moderator been needed since the "incident"? No.

Is difference of opinion respected here? Of course. I sometimes wish there would be a heated debate here to stir things up. Maybe I can think of one or maybe some of the climbers here can come up with something.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• Electrojake
  • Electrojake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129006 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Off Topic - Hunter Orange

Originally posted by Treeman
I sometimes wish there would be a heated debate here to stir things up.

Posting with passion is cool.
Heated debate? I guess it has to occur naturally. Trying to force a skirmish only results in a dud anyway.

As for my statement “no moderator”. . .
A better statement would have been “no visible moderator”.

I’m not disappointed that its so civil here.
Actually, I’m impressed at how civil it constantly remains, especially with no intervention by the moderator.

Yes. An incredibly positive & constructive group of climbers here at TCI forum.
(Not to mention they tolerate “me” pretty well too). <grin>

Back to my cave, ;)
Electrojake

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129007 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic Off Topic - Hunter Orange
Treeman, you say, "A negative topic started and it eventually got out of hand to where it started dividing the message board into factions. I waited and watched the numbers of postings increase to a truely high level with dark negative tones I had never seen here before."

Could you tell us
(a) specifically, what was the "negative topic;"
(b) specifically, what factions were developed;
(c) specifically, what were the "dark negative forces;" and
(d) specifically, what action was taken to remedy the perceived problem?

Thanks.

Peace.

Jim

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129017 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Jim W
The topic has been closed. I will not reopen the issue or revisit it. This thread is now closed.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds