What do the posting people here do for a living?

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128170 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic What do the posting people here do for a living?
BrianG8, Welcome Back to TCI!

I see your location is Rahway, NJ.
That’s interesting, I was raised in Carteret (well from 1956 to 1975 anyway).

There are 2 other fellows from Jersey that are members here. That would be Climber020, and JerseyEd. Ed and I are recreational climbers, however Climber020 is a working arborist.

Please look around, get comfortable, and post. There is great group of members here on the forum. :)

Nice to hear from ya!
Electrojake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128195 by leon123

Originally posted by BrianG8
Hello everyone,
It's nice to find a climbing forum with less emphasis on commercial arboriculture, nothing against it. I just got out of it in April. I'm a past TCI member, but I can't recall this site having the message board back then.

I'm a USDA Treeclimber. I inspect trees for Asian Longhorned Beetles. I basically get to climb trees and look at them, some office work too.

That sounds like a sweet job Brian. No noisy power tools, just you and the tree.

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128419 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic What do the posting people here do for a living?
I just started at www.treepeople.org as one of Tree Care Coordinators!

Plus I splice rope for fun and to help pay the bills. I've spliced for many of the people here.

In other worlds, I've also worked at www.servpro.com and www.alladinrestoration.com doing water/mold/fire damage restoration to homes.

Oh, and I've worked at www.erehwon.com and www.adventure16.com here and there.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129043 by tuffgong
MY Job? hmm.... OK So basically what I do Is "home automation" in high end custom homes in and around the greater houston area. That consists of installing: remote controled lighting, whole house audio, media rooms, surveilance systems, etc. So thats what I do, I play around in wealthy peoples houses so that their house can be cooler that their neighbors.

• kinooni
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129044 by kinooni
Mr. Tuff Gong,
Do you have any affiliations with the jamaican recording studios?
just curious.

• john e routon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #129046 by john e routon
Replied by john e routon on topic "What do I do?"
I am retired----I enjoy my 9 3/4 grandchildren and tree climb often.I am the quality control person for Abe Winters, which means that I make all the decisions concerning "Alice"

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129062 by tuffgong
Treeman I was wondering if some one here would catch that.. . No I do not have an affiliation wth them. I was born and raised listening to, in my opinion, one of the greatest lyricist that ever lived. BoB Marley Thank you for your observation it certainly makes my day.

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129063 by tuffgong
******Correction****

I addressed my last reply to Treeman my appologies I would like to redirect it to Kinooni I guess I shouldn't have stayed up that late now My eyes are seeing things

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129064 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Who else wants to expose their career here?
Thanks Tuff Gong

So who else wants to describe their working world here. I promise your identity will not be disclosed to Homeland Security or invasive bush species out of control.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129118 by dannyc
Replied by dannyc on topic do for a living
I just found out about rec. tree climbing a few weeks ago. I've been very excited to find this much buzz about something i have enjoyed for a long time. I have been involved with ropework through tree, rock,ice climbing ,rappelling. I have a forest tech. degree and went into arboriculture after school. Was an ISA and MCA certified arborist. Worked as an arborist for 12 years. I am now a firefighter/paramedic in Albany, NY
Can't wait to get more involved in TCI and find more climbers in NY
Climb Safe

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130289 by thetangler
Replied by thetangler on topic what we do
Currently I operate an idustrial sewing business producing products for my father-in-laws company. We make safety pads and chin straps for military helmets, a padded helmet insert for aviation helmets and a cushion for head sets. My training was at Oregon State University in Horticulture and I have worked extensively in landscaping and ornamental plant production. I also once had a current ISA card. Now I am discovering climbing and raising my two kids.

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130350 by jerseygirl
Replied by jerseygirl on topic What do the posting people here do for a living?
I work at home - for a BIG BLUE computer company and play on the interent all day - 50-60 hours a week 0- FUNTIME

and you wonder WHY i climb tall tree, ride a bicycle for 30-40 miles and run rivers in an 8 foot boat. GEEE Cabin fever

More
16 years 6 months ago #130692 by Foxglove
Basically, I hang around in a harness all day -or- stare at a computer all day.

Title:chief biologist for Eco-ascension Research and Consulting. I'm a forest canopy scientist and wildlife biologist, and I have been an IRATA level 2 climber for the last 3 years (testing to level 3 this winter). I mostly do rope-based research in trees and on cliffs / rocks, but i also do a lot of complex rigging and access work for natural history television and movie projects. Most of this work is with the BBC and and National Geographic. I also work closely with Steve Sillett and the rest of the Humboldt State University lab doing tall tree research in the Pacific northwest, and in other tall forest around the world. I travel way too much.....miss home often.

In my spare time I surf, play soccer, weed my garden, tend to our 50+ house plants, and anything else that does NOT involve a harness and rope!

Jim Spickler (foxglove)

More
16 years 6 months ago #130694 by moss
Welcome to the message board Jim. It's not too often (never) that we get an IRATA Level 2 rope technician visiting :-) Looking forward to hearing about some of your adventures in tree space!
-moss

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #131716 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic My Job(s)
I'm a naturalist and environmental educator at Carbon County Environmental Education Center. www.carboneec.org We not only do the regular tree ID and \"This is a beetle larva\" kind of ed. stuff, but we are also a licensed wildlife rehabilitation center, specializing in birds of prey. Some of our education birds include a Great Horned Owl, Red Tail and Rough Legged Hawks, and a Bald and Golden Eagle. About 35 birds in all. I am also a wilderness survival instructor, and a Leave No Trace Trainer. www.lnt.org

My job includes tree trimming along the hiking trails. Now, I use my new-found tree climbing skills to help me do my job more efficiently. Also, putting nest boxes up is WAAAYYY easier now, than when I had to haul a ladder into the woods.

My volunteer job is as a SAR/rope rescue technician with East Penn Technical Search And Rescue. www.eastpennsar.com Interestingly enough, I teach a kids wilderness safety program called \"Hug-A-Tree\"!
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by Baker.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds