Not About Trees (but still worth a post!)

• Electrojake
  • Electrojake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 2 months ago - 18 years 2 months ago #126882 by Electrojake
Not About Trees (but still worth a post!) was created by Electrojake
My “in-tree time”, especially during the school year, is minimal. At best I’m a spare-time climber. (Perhaps this would explain my tendency to drift off-topic like a cheap compass in a steel mill). :D

Back to my point. . .
I, like most persons here, am forced to pack all of my interests into that tiny sliver of free-time that exists between work, family, school, and all the other issues that seem to find their way to my door. (Sound familiar?) This results in the Jack of all, master of none effect.

So what is my point ? . .
It sure would be neat to see some of the forum members post photos and/or an occasional anecdote about a day at work or some of their other sport/hobby interests here. If an event at work or on the way to the climb should occur, and you’d like to post but it’s not particularly related to the science of tree climbing, post it here!

So feel free to boast, blab, impress, or simply mention, the next time an interesting off-topic jewel grabs you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Electrojake
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128353 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Not About Trees (but still worth a post!)

Originally posted by Icabod
. . . but remember the best way to know what needs to change is to know what is.

Mmm. . .
Simple yet thought provoking.

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128386 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic I'm The Tree Guru
And you don't have to climb a mountain in Tibet to get my wisdom, just climb up my tree in Kannapolis NC!

I have all kinds of wisdom, like, don't stick paperclips in electrical outlets, and always eat chicken fully cooked.

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128418 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Not About Trees (but still worth a post!)

Originally posted by Electrojake
... this would explain my tendency to drift off-topic like a cheap compass in a steel mill). :D ...

Man that's a GREAT line. I'm going to have to steal that one sometime.

This is a good idea for a thread!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Electrojake
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130349 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Not About Trees (but still worth a post!)
100 Degrees in Atlanta today! :o

I get soaked with sweat simply walking around the truck. How can you arbor-guys keep going in this overwhelming heat?
(an honest days work would surely kill me) <grin>

But the question here is:
Do you recreational climbers “stand down” when the weather gets this oppressive? Perhaps reschedule your climbs to the evening hours?
Or is forging ahead regardless of weather, part of the challenge?

Chillin' in NJ

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130351 by jerseygirl
Replied by jerseygirl on topic Not About Trees (but still worth a post!)
FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK -IT was 102 in Gainesville, ga at 2:30 today - with a heat index of 105. I was out practicing my throws and isolating branches. Rec climber here. I started about 6:45 pm in a park at lake lanier- had a nalgene filled with ice and water.

SO far, I schedule my tree fun either real early or late in the day,from 8-12 or after 6:30. I try to stay in trees that are in groves with lots of leaves and shade. I am doing shorter climbs - only about 2 hours. Carry more water and my camel back is packed with ICE. I move slower and wear a wicked shirt, carry a bandana and take breaks in the tree, take off the helmet and cool down a bit. I am also NOT going up to any great height.

IF I get TO HOT, I stop and get out of the tree.

More
16 years 8 months ago - 16 years 8 months ago #130406 by thetangler
Replied by thetangler on topic Time?
I can sure relate to the busy life description. I have been running between my 5 and 8 year old kids, to work, mowing the lawn and getting the honey out of my one bee hive, fishing a couple of times, more work and visiting family in the hospital....... I always look longingly at my gear as I get in the truck. One week I worked so fast so I could get back home to the trees I ended up hurting my wrist (I make pads and cusions for headsets and helmets) On the bright side - life is filled with so many interesting things to do that time will always be short if we take advatage of opportunities as they arise. I did not get to climb last weekend but I did go 30 miles out into the Pacific ocean and saw whales, a shark, porpoise, seals, sea lions and caught two tuna!

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds