• jpthor
  • jpthor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #139594 by jpthor
New Climber - NYC was created by jpthor
Hi all,

I'm a recent college graduate who's hoping to get into recreational tree-climbing. Is anyone in the NYC area who could show me the ropes? Pun-Intended. I can't afford the NYBG course in the summer... and I'm hoping for some personal mentorship!

Cheers,
Jesse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #139596 by patty
Replied by patty on topic New Climber - NYC
Hi Jesse,
Take a look at our " At Home Basic Tree Climbing Course ." It's not expensive, and is probably the best way to learn to climb if you can't afford to take a course. Don't just trust anybody to train you! People all over the world have learned to climb safely using our course.
Thanks for posting.
Patty

• jpthor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #139600 by jpthor
Replied by jpthor on topic New Climber - NYC
Thanks! Should I purchase all of my equipment before taking the course, so I can practice knots and go along? Or what do you suggest?

More
4 years 2 months ago #139601 by patty
Jesse—You’ll need gear to learn with. The course comes with membership in TCI, which comes with discount coupons for gear. So don’t buy gear until you get the coupons. Also, check our “Gear” page, which shows you the climbing kits we designed for new climbers. They’re sold by TreeStuff and Wesspur. You can use the coupons when you buy one. That way you’ll be buying stuff which we teach you how to use and take care of in the course.
Hope this helps.
Patty

• jpthor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #139610 by jpthor
Replied by jpthor on topic New Climber - NYC
Hi Patty. Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get the online class. One question for you, though: Can I get the WesSpur member discount on top of the TCI2017 discount for the entry level kit, if I go that route?

Best,
Jesse

More
4 years 2 months ago #139611 by patty
Hi Jesse,
I don't see you as a current member of TCI. So with the price of the online class, you'll also get membership into TCI. With that you'll get the WesSpur, TreeStuff, and SherrillTree discount coupons. The TreeStuff coupon has the kit at 15% off and another order of anything at 12% off (the discount code is no longer TCI2017, and I cannot make that code public here). The entry-level kit is sold by WesSpur and TreeStuff.
Hope this helps!
Patty

More
3 years 5 months ago #139687 by Georgimama
Replied by Georgimama on topic New Climber - NYC
Hi,

Just got on here. I am also a college student looking into tree climbing. Have you had any luck jpthor? If so, would you please pass it down to me :)

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds