Southeast Ohio Climber

• Greenluck
  • Greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
7 years 5 months ago #137702 by Greenluck
Southeast Ohio Climber was created by Greenluck
Hello there. I've been climbing since 2009. I've always loved trees and grew up in rural southeastern Ohio which has one of the most diverse hardwood forests in the world. I originally started climbing to assist my brother-in-law with clearing some trees around his house since he couldn't afford the $5000+ removal bid. So we bought about $600 in equipment and we got it safely done. The only trouble was I was hooked and started recreational climbing and helping family and friends with removals and pruning on the side. I learned using DDRT then quickly switched over to SRT for the efficiency and the love of gear. I've always dreamed of starting a local recreational tree climbing company and an aerial services company. I'm currently considering taking the Tree Climbing Training offered by TCI but it's a stretch financially because of the long distance I would need to travel. I'm hoping that 2017 may be the year I take the course.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #137706 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Southeast Ohio Climber
Welcome to the TCI forum, looks like you're well equipped and well on your way. There is a very active rec tree climber community in Ohio: Bill and Shelley Byrne, Duane Hook, and many more. If you're on FB it's fairly easy to tap into that community.

One of the best ways to get discussion going here is to post reports on your rec climbs, photo, observations, technical questions, it's all good material to share and get responses on.
-AJ

• Greenluck
  • Greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
7 years 5 months ago #137721 by Greenluck
Replied by Greenluck on topic Southeast Ohio Climber
Yes, quite a few climbers in the Ohio area. Not a lot of training options though.

I don't use facebook or cell phones so that isn't an option to connect with other climbers.

Earth Joy (Cincinnati/KY area) which is owned by the Byrnes is one of the only facilitators training options in the state. The only problem is Earth Joy seems mostly interested in expanding their territory and business with their training, not necessarily training people to start their own business or company. I contacted them some time ago and they would only train someone to be a facilitator for them at a 3:1 ratio. Earth Joy aggressively encouraged me to train so I could facilitate climbs in my area for their company (not what I wanted but certainly what they wanted).

I hear Cornell university has a tree climbing course that is small scale and can be customized as needed. It is also slightly closer then Alanta.

More
7 years 5 months ago #137723 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Southeast Ohio Climber
Hi Greenluck,

Three (for starters) reasons for taking the TCI Facilitators' Course in Atlanta:

1. Our Facilitator Program is standardized. It's based on over 30 years of experience in running events and teaching, so we have learned (from ourselves and others) and incorporated lessons on what facilitators need to know to provide safe tree climbing experiences to the public.

2. Our program is geared toward helping you open your own business, and we'll give you lots of support as you do that.

3. Becoming part of the TCI network and our accident-free tradition is a sign that you really care about what you're doing, and that you have received excellent training. That's important as you begin to run events for bigger organizations, camps, etc. Also, I routinely refer business out to folks we've trained when I get calls from outside our area (even inside our area to local TCI-trained facilitators).

I hope you WILL come to Atlanta for training next year. If you'll send me your phone number in an email (I see you didn't enter it when you registered on our website), I'll get hold of you to discuss this further and offer you a slot in a course when I am able to schedule one.

Glad to see you on our Forums. Carry on ... and stay safe!

Patty

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds