2014 Olympics: Tallest Trees in Europe at risk

• michaeljspraggon
  • michaeljspraggon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 10 months ago #134609 by michaeljspraggon
2014 Olympics: Tallest Trees in Europe at risk was created by michaeljspraggon
Hi everyone. I thought you might like to know about something that is happening which has caused me great concern. I am contacting everyone I know who cares about trees in the hope that between us we can make a difference:

The 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics development in southern Russia is going to carve a swathe of destruction through the Mzymta valley in which the tallest trees in Europe grow. The planned Olympic complex in the village of Krasnaya Polyana and the rail, road, power and communications links between it and Adler might result in these unique trees being lost forever for what is in reality a 2-week sporting event!!

As we speak there is a conference discussing the architecture of the development so we need to bring these concerns to their attention NOW.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100525/159142781.html

I've managed to contact the guy who, in 1997, discovered the tallest tree measured so far (a 78m Caucasian Fir) and he gave me the name of a contact at the Caucasus National Reserve to whom I've just sent an email requesting more information and to bring these trees to their attention in case they have been overlooked amongst all of the other concerns brought about by the Olympics Project.

I hope he replies with good news... if not then I'm not yet sure what can be done but I will put the concerns 'out there' as well as contacting the UNEP. I will keep you updated and if anyone reading this thinks they can help in some way then please let me know.

Michael J Spraggon
The following user(s) said Thank You: bradypus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #134611 by moss
Good luck working on that Michael. Being "green" is a such a popular public stance these days for big corporations and multi-national organizations like the IOC (International Olympic Committee). It seems like with facts in place (tree heights, locations etc.) and the right supporters (international environmental advocacy organizations) there's a chance to protect the forest area in question.
-moss

• michaeljspraggon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 9 months ago #134612 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:2014 Olympics: Tallest Trees in Europe at risk
I'm just a guy sitting at his computer - the best I can do is to tell the right people. If anyone reading this message is able to be influential in some way or knows anyone who can then please do what you can!

They're building the development now so this is urgent!!

Thanks,
Michael

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #134613 by moss
The war of words is already well underway, with not so veiled threats of damage to careers if Russian ecologists don't back off...

Russian ecologists 'trashing' 2014 Sochi Olympics - deputy PM

Is the area upstream of Krasnaya Polyana on the Mzymta River where the 78m fir was measured anywhere near any of the Olympic development impact areas?

General area , Mzymta River runs down through Krasnaya Polyana to Adler at the Black Sea, Sochi is north of Adler.
-moss
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by moss.

• michaeljspraggon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 9 months ago #134614 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:2014 Olympics: Tallest Trees in Europe at risk
Adler is a district of Sochi at the mouth of the Mzymta and hosts the coastal cluster of developments. Krasnaya Polyana is upstream by the Mzymta and hosts the mountain cluster of developments with the sliding areas upstream of it on the ridges within 10km of Krasnaya Polyana. We only know that the 78m tree is upstream of Krasnaya Polyana.

What concerns me even more is that the whole area probably has not been surveyed for canopy height properly and that many of the tallest trees in Europe may be lost without anyone even realising. I can't see the Russian Government allowing a LiDAR survey, can you?

Michael

More
10 years 7 months ago #136095 by Rusty
Any update?

More
10 years 2 months ago #136322 by dogwood
I believe the latest is that anyone who would dare criticize the construction of the Sochi site, and protest the destruction of beautiful pristine habitat, is to be labeled a terrorist. As George Orwell might have said, under totalitarianism, two and two make five.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bradypus

More
9 years 6 months ago #136979 by bradypus
Replied by bradypus on topic 2014 Olympics: Tallest Trees in Europe at risk
I feel realy bad because french past presidency made a deal with Russia, giving 2 billions dollars in help to build olympic areas.

Russia doesn't care about Ukrenian people, and also Russian people too... why would Putin's administration care about trees ?

http://www.wwf.ru/about/positions/sochi2014/eng

More
9 years 6 months ago #136981 by dogwood
Sad situation, indeed. Here in the Southeastern US, we're gobbling up forests to provide fuel pellets for the European market.

More
9 years 6 months ago #136982 by bradypus
Replied by bradypus on topic 2014 Olympics: Tallest Trees in Europe at risk
And at the same time we sell our woods for fuel pellets abroad too, particulary to China, it's a pure non sense.

I guess it looks good for some industries to show they export a lot, even if we have to import the same product for our own uses. Global bizness insanity...

More
9 years 6 months ago #136985 by dogwood

bradypus wrote: And at the same time we sell our woods for fuel pellets abroad too, particulary to China, it's a pure non sense.

I guess it looks good for some industries to show they export a lot, even if we have to import the same product for our own uses. Global bizness insanity...

It's called burning your capital.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds