City Ordinances on Trees Preservation

• oldtimer
  • oldtimer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #133664 by oldtimer
City Ordinances on Trees Preservation was created by oldtimer
I was reading an article yesterday on this Month's Tree Services Magazine about how Arborists play a role in developing appropriate city rules and today I saw this one on the local newspaper. I was wondering what ordinances does your city/town has for tree preservation and care, removals and replanting in new developments etc.

Austin American Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/05/14/0514trees.html
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by oldtimer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #133665 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Re:City Ordinances on Trees Preservation
I believe that trees, especially trees witin view of the public right of way are an asset to a community. They have intrinsic value, consider the more affluent communities in most areas, and you'll more than likely note the presense of mature trees, or at least an effort made to establish them. I really think that the reason more municipalities do not have such regulation is that the public views professional arborists promoting them as a conflict of interest (which in some sense it is). I'd love to start a movement of private citizens with the aim of protecting the private property, represented by yard trees visible to the public right of way, in the interest of the public value of the municipality.

This is something I've given a great deal of though to over the last 10 years or so. I live in an area where willow oaks, often in front yards, are regularly topped. Additionally, I see way too often large, viable, mature trees removed, a trends I cannot comprehend particularly if one were to consider the additional cooling load required by removing a large amount of shade from the home.

Unfortunatly, I'm no politician, can't keep my mouth shut, I'd only get myself in trouble; so I guess I'm prolly not going to do anything about it.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #133666 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:City Ordinances on Trees Preservation
There are several programs established in the most progressive cities to protect and support the maintenance of trees in the city. I do not see the participation of Professional Arborists as a conflict of interest in the development of regulations because they have an interest like any other citizen with the advantage they are Professionally trained in the matter so they should be included. Many of them participate in tree plantings, developing surveys of important trees in the city and advise the policy makers in ways to deal with problems or hazardous trees.

In Austin a large argument developed after a big wind storm destroyed a large portion of the electrical infrastructure in the most affluent part of the city where they have denied permission to their backyards to clean up the power lines right- of-ways. You cuold see them all suffering under the heat and lack of cooking because their lack of common sense. After that episode the City wrote new rules that allowed the Electric Company to clear and maintain the power lines across the city on regular basis (two year cycles). So that shows to me that the general citizenship may not understand completely the need to trim and remove hazardous trees in some locations.(ie. Power lines)
The next fight developed after a tree fell on top of a car in a city park and injured a person, so now they are going to remove around 28 large trees near a mayor park just because they are afraid of another law suit. :angry:
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by oldtimer. Reason: Corrections

More
14 years 10 months ago #133668 by canopyboy
Replied by canopyboy on topic Re:City Ordinances on Trees Preservation
Is this why some of us like trees better than people?

More
14 years 10 months ago #133673 by icabod
Oldtimer, don't get me wrong, I WANT arborists involved. The concern that I've heard expressed is that arborists (regardless of thier actual motivations) have a conflict of interest when it comes to proposing such legislation; the make money off tree work, by creating laws or ordinances requiring folks to keep thier trees, or to treat them well arborists stand to make more money. That's the conflict of interest.

I'm calling for an uprising of citizens (including professional arborists) to demand the protection of our arboreal friends.

And yes canopyboy, trees are better than people; trees never murder eachother.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• oldtimer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 10 months ago #133685 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:City Ordinances on Trees Preservation
I think there is a little bit more to Arboriculture than cutting down trees for living. The proper care, Damage estimates, disease control, replanting and even relocation of trees.
Read a bit more in this article.

Community Collaboration
by Jenan Jones Benson
Program brings opportunities for tree care firms

Looking for a new way to distinguish your company from the pack? Some tree care firms say teaming up with the Tree City USA program is a good opportunity that benefits your business, as well as your community.
Link to the Article.
http://www.treeservicesmagazine.com/article.php?id=3344

More
14 years 10 months ago #133687 by icabod
No question about that point. I'm currently trying to get into the arbocare business myself, though it's a tough time to get into any career.

I believe that Mooresville, NC, not too far from me is a Tree City USA participant. I know they actually require replacement for trees removed within the city limits. One guy I knew had a very large dogwood that was in the footprint of the house he was planning on building. It was cheaper for him to have us change his house plans to maintain the tree than it was to replace or move it. I was really glad, the tree was fantastic.

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds