Cover story in "High Country News"

• pattyjenkins
  • pattyjenkins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 1 week ago - 16 years 1 week ago #131497 by pattyjenkins
Cover story in "High Country News" was created by pattyjenkins
Here's the lengthy and detailed cover story, Taking to the Trees , in this month's issue of \"High Country News.\" It's well worth reading.

Happy Spring!
patty
Last edit: 16 years 1 week ago by pattyjenkins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago - 16 years 1 week ago #131505 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Cover story in "High Country News"
Patty Thanks for the link to the article.
A long and convoluted story of recreational tree climbing. A little one sided and not putting things into perpespective. So in the time that it took me to write this note 100 hectares of forest were cleared cut and burned to ashes so some cows have grass to eat for a few months in Brasil or to plant some corn to make biofuel for an extra large SUV but 'evironmentalists' are concerned that I may break a small twig or remove a few pieces of moses or disturbe a bird while recreationally climbing. If that is a problem we should all get in our living rooms and watch forests on TV only. Closing the National Parks coudl be a good idea also, so that people will not trample over the land!:S
Last edit: 16 years 1 week ago by oldtimer.

• pattyjenkins
  • pattyjenkins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 1 week ago - 16 years 1 week ago #131507 by pattyjenkins
Replied by pattyjenkins on topic Re:Cover story in "High Country News"
Hi Oldtimer,
I completely agree with your concern about deforestation, as probably does everyone who cares about trees and the environment. However, I'm sure you don't mean to belittle the legitimate concerns of environmentalists that treetop ecosystems could be easily destroyed by careless climbers. I know that you yourself are a climber who is cautious not to inadvertently hurt any part of the trees you climb. I also know that you are careful to observe guidelines for wilderness ethics.

We need to continue to register our opposition to clear-cutting forests. At the same time, though, part of our obligation to be good \"environmental stewards\" is also being vigilant to preserve and protect what little is left of the world's environment, including those moss mats in the trees.
Thanks.
patty
Last edit: 16 years 1 week ago by pattyjenkins.

More
15 years 8 months ago #131854 by glennjo
I found it interesting that no mention was made in this story of \"tree-sitting\", the form of civil disobedience where people climb up (using tree climbing techniques) and place themselves in trees. This can be from a day to months, as in the case of Julia \"Butterfly\" Hill and countless others who have engaged in this form of protest (to protect trees from being logged).

I'm curious I guess what folks on this forum think of tree-sitting and if any know of technical or cultural connections to the sport/activity of tree climbing. How have the hundreds of tree-sitters over the last 20-plus years influenced the culture and \"fledgling sport\" of tree-climbing?

Thanks,
:blink: Curious Birder

More
15 years 8 months ago #131869 by moss
There are many connections on an individual basis but tree climbing old growth activists and recreational tree climbers have come to learn climbing by different routes so there is not built-in cultural connection. If you're trying to save old growth by direct action you're going to learn how to get up into a tree to meet the goals of your action. If you are a rec climber you probably came to tree climbing through a variety of possible routes, many of which do not include being a tree sitting activist. Once rec climbers spend some time in trees thoughts of protecting trees and the forest rise to the top so-to-speak.
-moss

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds