Loring Park

• markf12
  • markf12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #131437 by markf12
Loring Park was created by markf12
Back in mid March I was in Minneapolis/St. Paul to hear a talk, check in with a colleague, and spend some quality time in a library. On my way out of town I was not far from Loring Park, where the ITCC (International Tree Climbing Competition) is held every summer. It was a lovely day, sunny and in the 50's (torrid for Minnesota in mid March), so I figured I had to go climb. A nice looking bur oak beckoned. I should know better. Bur oaks, for those who don't know them, are the most fiendishly designed throwline snaggers of any tree species. A light breeze and a slight mis-placement of the throwbag and my line was quite securely tangled. Of course, about this time a friendly guy with a camera comes along asking my about what I'm doing. I give him the short version about rec tree climbing, and continue to answer questions while getting set up to rescue my throwline. Eventually tie in DdRT and do a short climb to retrieve my line. At that point I'm out of time (facing a 4 1/2 hour drive back north to Bemidji) - all in all, a lot of fuss for a pretty short climb. But the next day, this picture was published in the front of the \"City and Region\" section of the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Link
Last edit: 15 years 11 months ago by markf12.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #131438 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Re:Loring Park
Hey Prof way to go!
Beautiful!!

More
15 years 11 months ago #131441 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Re:Loring Park
Way cool picture!

would you cross post this on Treebuzz too?

You're lucky that the Mpls. Park Police didn't come around. You would have been asked to leave or face getting a ticket for 'vegetation molestation' Don't laugh...I know two arbos who faced a Park cop and had a laugh but were told that a ticket isn't funny.

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• markf12
  • markf12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 11 months ago #131449 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic Re:Loring Park

You're lucky that the Mpls. Park Police didn't come around. You would have been asked to leave or face getting a ticket for 'vegetation molestation' Don't laugh...I know two arbos who faced a Park cop and had a laugh but were told that a ticket isn't funny.

Sigh. I suppose it's lucky I haven't received a citation in the mail, given that there's prominent photographic evidence of my \"crime\".

More
15 years 11 months ago #131484 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Loring Park
Lucky you to get a professional to take the shot! Very nice. If we could just get regular shots like this in the media the rec climbers might just get some respect.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds