Clear Cutting for a new Trans-Canadian Highway

• TreeTramp
  • TreeTramp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 1 month ago #131182 by TreeTramp
Tree Sitters Play “Catch Me if You Can” with Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

You have to think the police that chased the Sitters had proper gear and that it matched those Spiffy Red Coats?

So did the Sitters lose their gear?

Read here for the link: Canadian Road Protest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago - 16 years 1 month ago #131210 by moss
TreeTramp wrote:

Tree Sitters Play “Catch Me if You Can” with Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

You have to think the police that chased the Sitters had proper gear and that it matched those Spiffy Red Coats?

So did the Sitters lose their gear?

Read here for the link: Canadian Road Protest

Here's another web address that worked better for me:
http://bullsheet.wordpress.com/category/bear-mtn-treesit/

I especially recommend viewing the video at the bottom of the page which is two parts, firstly protestors describe being confronted by the RCMP, secondly an interview at the site with Chief Eric Pelkey of the Saanich Tribe. Chief Pelkey makes an eloquent call for resistance to the highway development project.
-moss
Last edit: 16 years 1 month ago by moss.

More
16 years 1 month ago - 16 years 1 month ago #131222 by oldtimer
It is hard to evaluate who is right or wrong in these type of arguments.
The ones that make it the news are the strident ones that usually have an agenda.
and built a new road somewhere and expend a few million dollars for the heck of it.

Now we return to the regular program!:woohoo:
Last edit: 16 years 1 month ago by oldtimer. Reason: Safety reasons!

More
16 years 1 month ago - 16 years 1 month ago #131223 by moss
We have some crazy developer exploitation of public woodlands in Massachusetts, all the good stuff, literal midnight deals at the statehouse, public land handed to developers for cheap in apparent exchange for campaign support (why else the midnight legislative sessions?), it ain't pretty. We had a good one involving rare Massachusetts old growth being cut down so that a ski area on public land could expand. The tree sitters in that situation brought publicity and allowed for a public response that halted the \"legal process\" to cut old growth. Sure an expanded ski area would create more jobs and tax revenue but at what price to unique and finite environmental resources? There are many stories to tell. Even now the state is planning to increase clearcuts on state land to raise revenue as the economy dips and is cynically describing it as habitat enhancement or \"forest management\".

At the very least Chief Eric Pelkey's statement about the irony of heavy mobilization of police force against tree sitters when people are being assaulted on the reservation with lethargic police response was on point. Let's face it, when development and political interests converge, things can get out of hand. I'm glad protesters are there to attempt to keep it honest even if they fail and cost taxpayer money. It's the price of an open society which I gladly accept.

It is difficult to remain neutral when you learn the details of some of these situations.
-moss
Last edit: 16 years 1 month ago by moss.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds