Coping with tight crotches

• Chelonian72
  • Chelonian72's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 2 months ago #139719 by Chelonian72
Coping with tight crotches was created by Chelonian72
Assuming that the title alone doesn't get this post deleted, I'm happy it caught your attention! I am, of course, referring to very low-angle limb junctions (a.k.a., crotches), frequently caused by co-dominant leaders and associated bark inclusion. I have a few of these situations in hardwood trees, most notably in some tall black locust Robinia pseudoacacia. (Yes, I know these are frequently referred to as "trash trees," but they're native to N.America and a pretty important source of spring nectar, FYI.) I've got a big widowmaker limb on one (not anchor related) that I'd like to deal with before it comes down on some poor soul -- human or otherwise.
However, I'm really concerned that if I put a rope up in this narrow crotch -- even with a leather friction saver -- I will never be able to retreive it again. I'm even a bit concerned about placing a throw-line, lest the low-angle friction prevent the weight from descending, but I'm willing to sacrifice my 16oz. bag to try.
Are there any work arounds for this situation? Both limbs of the crotch are alive and vigorous, so I'm not too concerned about junction failure. Mainly I'm just worried about getting my gear out of the crotch after climbing.
Thanks!
- Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds