Using Harken Bosun’s Chair for Tree Ascent/Descent

• Treeclimber2185
  • Treeclimber2185's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #139674 by Treeclimber2185
I have tried New Tribe Onyx/Twist (kids and small adult)/Tengu. All were very uncomfortable for my 5 foot, high waisted body type. There is basically no distance between my lower rib cage and my hip, so the saddle tends to hit me in the boobs or the ribs. I will be trying the Harken Bosun’s Chair in the next few days. We are new to this and simply want to ascend/descend from this very straight Douglas Fir Tree that should give us a very nice water view over our existing forested acreage here in Washington state. I also love bird watching and have even been successful at calling a Barred Owl into my vicinity!! So I do not wish to do any arborist/tree canopy climbing at this point. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using this Harken Bosun’s chair for my very limited purpose. Thanks.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #139675 by patty
Hi there, first suggestion: Try adjusting the leg straps on the Tengu saddle to see if you can prevent it from riding up; also try tightening the waist belt. If that doesn't work, it's okay to use the Bosun's seat.
Patty

• Treeclimber2185
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #139676 by Treeclimber2185
Replied by Treeclimber2185 on topic Using Harken Bosun’s Chair for Tree Ascent/Descent
Thanks, Patty. Yes, we have a climbing line set up in our garage so we are able to adjust many different combinations. I literally have no space between my hip and my lower rib cage, so this is a challenge. Being large busted does not help either. When I thought of the Bosun’s chair, I am finally hopeful that this crazy idea I had about our tree just might work!! Right now the recommendation for a RADS single rope technique was made. How do you feel about a Ropewalker system with the canopy anchor being installed such that the climbing rope would come out a few inches from the tree trunk?? The arborist who will install the canopy anchor can do pruning such that there could be a straight ascent/descent. The tree is VERY straight. My upper body strength is practically nonexistent!! We have the CMC clutch with an ascender at present. Any thoughts?? Thanks again.

More
3 years 6 months ago #139677 by patty
Phyllis--My husband is Peter Jenkins, who founded TCI and has taught thousands of people to climb. He helped me answer your gear questions above. In response to your last post with questions about technique, he is quite insistent that you have someone who is an expert climber with you onsite as you try to implement new or unfamiliar gear or climbing methods. As a beginning climber, be aware that as you experiment, you are at risk of getting hurt or worse anytime you take yourself off the ground. Please get some help before you try this on your own. (Again, Peter said the Bosun's chair would be okay.)
Patty

• Treeclimber2185
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #139678 by Treeclimber2185
Replied by Treeclimber2185 on topic Using Harken Bosun’s Chair for Tree Ascent/Descent
I didn’t mention that we have a certified arborist who will be installing the canopy anchor as well as teaching us to use the system that we are presently setting up in garage. So we are in agreement. Any comments about a Ropewalker system for our purposes? Our original consulting was done with Dave Stice who had recommended the RADS SRS and put together the equipment list that we ordered from Wesspur. He is traveling right now and I have a text question pending about Ropewalking.

More
3 years 6 months ago #139679 by patty
Peter says the RAD can be used and might be a good system for you.

• Treeclimber2185
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #139680 by Treeclimber2185
In looking at videos, the Ropewalker system seems to spare the upper body and the comments talk about that system requiring a whole lot less energy expenditure. Any thoughts about the Ropewalker System being better for us?

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #139859 by Jump12k
For rope walking I use Haas knee ascender with a Petzl Pantin foot ascender. Petzl Zig Zag for RADS. Very happy with this set up. Of course I use a Petzl saddle not a bosuns chair. Not sure how you would rig that up. But hey, if it gets you up a sailboat mast it could possibly get you up a straight up tree. I would at least use some kind of descent device such as the Petzl Rig attached to the upper part of the chair. Also, if using a bosuns chair, be sure you are fit well enough that you don't fall out if you should tilt sideways.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Jump12k. Reason: additions

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds