Seizures and the job?

• blevinsmolly27
  • blevinsmolly27's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 6 months ago #137912 by blevinsmolly27
Seizures and the job? was created by blevinsmolly27
I'm on here souly to ask for some advice. A person i care for dearly is a tree climber and a dang good one. But he has seizures in his sleep and will not go to the doctor about them for fear of losing his job. Does anyone know the protocol on this? I keep saying if he were on meds he may never have one again but he will not listen.i understand that tree climbing is a part of him bevaise he has been doing this his whole life. If anyone knows or has any advice, please respond.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #137913 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Seizures and the job?
Tricky situation for sure, if his health insurance is through work then diagnosing a seizure disorder could shut down his climber job. It would be worth contacting his primary doctor and find out what the confidentiality guidelines are as far as disclosures to the employer. It may turn out he is completely protected and there will be no disclosures of specific health issues to an employer.

If not then seek medical assistance off the insurance dime, even though that is expensive.

The reality though is that this is not all about losing a job, stoicism and even denial in the face of difficulty is one of the hallmarks of the working climber mindset, it has to be.

Another way to go is look at the big picture and talk to a counselor to help clarify where the fears might really be coming from and try to work to a good solution from there. No fault in seeking support to solve a difficult conundrum.
-AJ
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by moss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blevinsmolly27

More
6 years 6 months ago #137914 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Seizures and the job?
Hello Molly,

While we understand your friend's situation, we have to say that we think he should not be climbing. If he has a seizure when he is operating a chainsaw, he is putting his own life and other workers at risk. We think he should not be doing tree work. Maybe your friend can investigate other opportunities in the arboriculture profession that do not involve climbing.

Patty and Peter Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds